What age are people doing the higher miles.

How many people are riding 3000+ miles

• Age 16 to 25

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Age 26 to 35

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Age 36 to 45

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • Age 46 to 55

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Age 56 to65

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Age 66 to 75

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Age 76+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I hope static bike miles count?!!:unsure:

They count for me, its much harder to do 25 miles on the turbo than on the road, physically and mentally.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I hope static bike miles count?!!:unsure:

Personally I don't think they do. Best summed up by one of our female club members "l've done xxxx miles this year, that's real miles."

I acknowledge turbos must be mentally very tough and it needs real determination but I see it as exercise not cycling. I couldn't do it. Myself I go spinning when I can't get out on the bike.

As for Zwift? I know people who all log on at the same time to ride together instead of getting out on the club ride. I've also seen them struggle to keep the pace on the road after emerging from garage hibernation!!!

Each to their own but I don't get it.

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The last 2 years have seen a big drop in miles for me, but prior to that I had a few years when I did 3,000+ miles. Haven't ticked the poll, as it doesnt apply right now, but .. I'm 57 years young :smile:

iandg

Legendary Member
I took early retirement during 2018 (age 57) and topped 7000km - largest annual mileage since registering on MyCyclingLog in 2011 :smile:

edit: I did a lot more miles in my late teens/early 20s when racing but mileage dropped considerably when I gave that lark up and got a job, wife and family.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Each to their own but I don't get it.

I would have agreed with you a few years ago with the old dumb trainer, it was purgatory.

The new smart trainers are more bearable and a good alternative when the weather is bad or time is limited, I have done several of my regular outdoor rides on the turbo and times and speeds are very similar, slower uphill and faster downhill on the turbo.

It's not as good as outdoors but is a decent alternative and you get to ride all over the world, did 25 mile on the Florida Keys this morning, it looked a lot warmer than West Yorkshire but not as nice.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Personally I don't think they do. Best summed up by one of our female club members "l've done xxxx miles this year, that's real miles."

I acknowledge turbos must be mentally very tough and it needs real determination but I see it as exercise not cycling. I couldn't do it. Myself I go spinning when I can't get out on the bike.

How can you do miles on a bike that does not move. You are exercizing not riding miles.

Next you'll both be saying that a sun tan from a sunbed isn't a proper tan.:okay:

Top Bottom