What album did you buy last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
A Small Faces compilation - 50p from a boot sale.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I keep a list of albums to buy and put in an order at the end of the month if there's any money left which means I'll not get some until months after they were released. At the end of Octoiber I treated myself to:
Weaves - Wide Open
Alvvays - Antisociialites
Mogwai - Every Country's Sun
The Moonlandingz - Interplanetary Class Classics
Waxahatchee - Out in the Storm
Apart from Mogwai, I've not heard of any of those... but my eye is drawn to The Moonlandingz Interplanetary Class Classics... i detect the scent of psychedelia... I'll give it a listen later.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Apart from Mogwai, I've not heard of any of those... but my eye is drawn to The Moonlandingz Interplanetary Class Classics... i detect the scent of psychedelia... I'll give it a listen later.

More than a wee hint of psych. They're awesome. They're actually a fictional band, characters in a story, if that makes any sense at all, and closely connected with Fat White Family - if you like them you'll probably like Moonlandingz.

The video for Black Hanz gives a pretty good flavour of what they're all about:

View: https://youtu.be/joNXjvK2mwc

The album closer is a bonkers prog anthem featuring Phil Oakey and Yoko Ono.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

More than a wee hint of psych. They're awesome. They're actually a fictional band, characters in a story, if that makes any sense at all, and closely connected with Fat White Family - if you like them you'll probably like Moonlandingz.

The album closer is a bonkers prog anthem featuring Phil Oakey and Yoko Ono.
Listened to Interplanetary Class Classics on youtube earlier. Enjoyable stuff indeed.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So, I've decided to buy, and consequently listen, my way through the top 100 albums of Rolling Stone top 500 albums of all time on vinyl with a couple of provisos...

I'm starting at #2, as I loathe #1, and am working backwards, and each band/artist only gets its highest ranking album, unless I already own it, in which case it will be their number two, if it falls in the top 100. e.g. I already own a vinyl copy of London Calling. The first 5 are sat in an Amazon locker waiting for me to go and collect them.

But tonight I listened to Look Sharp by Joe Jackson, and Disintegration by The Cure. The former I bought a day or so after it was released and had signed by Mr Jackson and the latter I was given by Mr Smith so neither really count for the purposes of this thread.

TVC

So, I've decided to buy, and consequently listen, my way through the top 100 albums of Rolling Stone top 500 albums of all time on vinyl with a couple of provisos...

I'm starting at #2, as I loathe #1, and am working backwards, and each band/artist only gets its highest ranking album, unless I already own it, in which case it will be their number two, if it falls in the top 100. e.g. I already own a vinyl copy of London Calling. The first 5 are sat in an Amazon locker waiting for me to go and collect them.

But tonight I listened to Look Sharp by Joe Jackson, and Disintegration by The Cure. The former I bought a day or so after it was released and had signed by Mr Jackson and the latter I was given by Mr Smith so neither really count for the purposes of this thread.
<public service announcement>

Here is the link missing from the above post :okay:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531

SteveF

Lost Property by Turin Brakes (and a chunk of their back catalogue)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Reactions: TVC
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I'd use the top 500 greatest albums of all time as a guide for what to not bother listening to... the record buying public are not a great way of gauging good music. I know this because because Brian (bloody) Adam's was number one for sixteen sodding weeks. (OK it was a single, but you get my drift).

One of my favourite albums is supposedly the second worst selling record in the history of Columbia Records... but maybe they would have sold more if they'd come up with a more palatable title than Music to Eat.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd use the top 500 greatest albums of all time as a guide for what to not bother listening to... the record buying public are not a great way of gauging good music. I know this because because Brian (bloody) Adam's was number one for sixteen sodding weeks. (OK it was a single, but you get my drift).

One of my favourite albums is supposedly the second worst selling record in the history of Columbia Records... but maybe they would have sold more if they'd come up with a more palatable title than Music to Eat.
Is it determined by sales?

Jenkins

Legendary Member

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Last edited:
Top Bottom