What an HGV sees of you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my lorry is a day cab (I go home every night) I sit next to my engine which brings the hight of my cab down,
but a lot of lorry drivers live in there cabs weeks on end so to save them having to climb all over the place they give them a flat floor which starts at the top of the engine hence being so high
OK I understand now. Cheers. So a lower cab height would work for you then?

I've also read an article that suggested lengthing the cab of one of the longer trailer HGV's by 80cm to accomodate a more rounded cab with lower height (or drop) windscreen but the driver at the same seated height. Would this help/be practical/be dangerous for the driver?

Brandane

Legendary Member
1. I'm afraid it hasn't. They are killing pedestrians and cyclists, so either improper operation is endemic, or the one person paid to operate them is simply not enough, however properly he does it.

2. Yes it was me, and I have thought about it quite a lot, thanks. When you say, "not practical", do you actually mean that operators are simply not willing to pay the costs or handle the logistics of controlling the danger they bring to the roads?

1. Presumably you are referring to the deaths of cyclists predominantly in London, and mostly by collisions with tipper lorries? That is off topic for this thread, which is about the alleged blind spots on ARTICULATED lorries. I appreciate that in your usual twisted way, you are trying to lure me into some sort of victim blaming statement so that you and your pals can have a rage fest :tired:. Sorry but it's not going to happen.

2. Why would you need an observer on a vehicle which, if mirrors are properly adjusted, has very limited blind spots. Have you even bothered to watch this video yet? Even @MontyVeda has admitted his avatar is bollox.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
1. Presumably you are referring to the deaths of cyclists predominantly in London, and mostly by collisions with tipper lorries? That is off topic for this thread, which is about the alleged blind spots on ARTICULATED lorries. I appreciate that in your usual twisted way, you are trying to lure me into some sort of victim blaming statement so that you and your pals can have a rage fest. Sorry but it's not going to happen.

2. Why would you need an observer on a vehicle which, if mirrors are properly adjusted, has very limited blind spots. Have you even bothered to watch this video yet?

1. It's about blind spots on large vehicles, and the mythology surrounding the issue, in the context of the spate of recent deaths. It's an old video - why do you imagine it's being dragged up all over the place just now? I am aware that it is tipper trucks and not artics that are mainly killing people. For cyclists it is also mainly trucks overtaking them and turning across their paths, and not cyclists deliberately positioning themselves on the nearside of lorries, that has led to their deaths, but that hasn't stemmed the relentless flow of "advice" to cyclists. And any chance you can cut down on the gratuitous abuse?

2. Yes I've watched it. My suggestion was initially made in the other thread, and it's aimed at all large vehicles with significant blind spots operating in public spaces shared with cyclists and pedestrians, not just artics. The complaint that it is impossible, despite conscientious driving and the best will in the world, for a driver to be sure he is not killing anyone, is one made frequently by drivers, not one initiated by me. I'm suggesting that the operators take responsibility for this problem and address it. I've suggested one way in which that would be possible.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Even @MontyVeda has admitted his avatar is bollox.

you have an inability to see what is written in front of you... I said

... the image in my avatar is to point out that as a cyclist, you don't want to be in the same position as any of those cyclists. It may be based on a lie, but it's still good sound advice."

that's a long way from admitting it's 'bollox'. Please don't distort what i say in your quest to have 'the last word'.

Brandane

Legendary Member
you have an inability to see what is written in front of you... I said

... the image in my avatar is to point out that as a cyclist, you don't want to be in the same position as any of those cyclists. It may be based on a lie, but it's still good sound advice."

that's a long way from admitting it's 'bollox'. Please don't distort what i say in your quest to have 'the last word'.

???? What I see written in front of me, on your avatar, in big letters, is this: "All of these bikes are in the driver's blind spot."

So perhaps it is YOU who can't see what is written in front of you; or you just have an inability to admit you are wrong :rolleyes:.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

You have accepted that your avatar is wrong in its representation of all those cyclists being hidden in the lorry's blind spot:

... none of those bikes are in the drivers blind spot and the image is wrong in that aspect.

I don't think it's wrong to suggest that your avatar's message (now refuted) is nonsense.

GC

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the image in my avatar is to point out that as a cyclist, you don't want to be in the same position as any of those cyclists. It may be based on a lie, but it's still good sound advice.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
the image in my avatar is to point out that as a cyclist, you don't want to be in the same position as any of those cyclists. It may be based on a lie, but it's still good sound advice.

If your message was something like <<don't ride in this zone or you might be squashed>> your overall message would still be relevant but, more importantly, not undermined by being based on a lie.

I'm trying to help here!

GC

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
We as lorry drivers are trying to stop any problems with cyclists, peds, cars and vans we have many large mirrors (which in itself causes more blind spots) and class room based training. We need you to make yourself seen, I ride my bike in a built up town and know here and where not to put myself in relation to HGVs and other traffic, yet i still wear a hi vis or bright clothing and put my lights on in anything but the clearest of days, there will always be accidents but a bit of self-presavataion goes a long way,
lorrys arnt going away any time soon, at least not whilst everyone is consuming good and services.
Think about this, the amount of stuff i carry on my one lorry would take approximately 13 transit vans or 500 cars.... And you think I'm the problem

I
2791955 said:
I have done several times, you presumably haven't read that. To make it clear though, I want every person responsible for a hard object on our roads who kills or seriously damages a soft road user removed from that position permanently.
Probably missed it because of all the antagonistic rhetoric. I presume that includes cyclists when they now down pedestrians?

2791955 said:
I have done several times, you presumably haven't read that. To make it clear though, I want every person responsible for a hard object on our roads who kills or seriously damages a soft road user removed from that position permanently.

Regardless of blame or any mitigating circumstances? I nearly hit an unlit cyclist who wobbled off a pavement out of a side road right in front of me once ... While I'm happy to accept responsibility for my own actions, I'd hate to think that my mortgage payments depended forever more on everyone else behaving as well as I try to when out on the road.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
2791818 said:
And then I look at the story of Catriona Patel and what happened when she met Dennis Putz on the road.
drink driver, i fully agree should never have been on the road that day, and should never be aloud again
my job is my world, i love it, wouldn't want to do any thing else, ( maybe a sailing instructor)
that's why i made a lifestyle choice to give up alcohol, never a chance i will still be hunover from the night before, i personally do everything i can to be as safe as i can on the roads in whichever form of transport I choose,

Top Bottom