What an HGV sees of you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2792058 said:
In collisions between cyclists and pedestrians damage tends to be 50:50. In collisions between motor vehicles and cyclists or motor vehicles and pedestrians it isn't. Newspaper reports frequently contain the phrase 'the driver of the car was uninjured".
Your one example doesn't swing it.

Perhaps not, although I'd still be interested to see the reaction of the families of those (admittedly few) people killed or injured by inconsiderate cyclists when you told them bicycles were not hard traffic and that their loved ones were merely statistical anomalies.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Here's a little question that I'd like you all to answer to yourself: that drag sweep that drivers are unable to monitor (or can only monitor with great difficulty), and which regularly takes out unwitting passing cyclists, who is responsible for it? Who owns the problem, in other words?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 2792155, member: 30090"]What's drag sweep?[/quote]
The area of space that a vehicle, particularly the rear axle, moves into (''sweeps'') as a vehicle turns. The area where unwitting cyclists get caught. But, no doubt, you knew exactly what I meant and you'll have a more precise definition.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I didn't mean behind the rear axle, I mean any point in front of it. When you turn, the rear wheels turn in a smaller arc than the front. This has the effect off closing off space. Further forward the lateral movement is even greater.

2792112 said:
How many are there?

There are very few indeed, I freely admit. But they do exist (and the number is almost certainly higher than the converse, viz. cyclists killed by pedestrians), and if you want to go down that road, there are very few cyclist / lorry incidents as a proportion of the number of successfully completed journeys. But that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Last edited:
[QUOTE 2792232, member: 30090"]Ok, then this would be down to the driver but you cannot stop cyclists passing up the inside and they have done with me. Despite there being seven flashing indicators indicating that I'm turning left.[/quote]

I've experienced the same thing from time to time. Less so now I'm on nights and mostly on the motorway, but it has happened.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2792155, member: 30090"]What's drag sweep?[/quote]

tumblr_mcjfpnHK791rpt0rh.jpg

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
I don't understand that one. How can the cab height have an effect on trailer length? I'm assuming this is due to a lack of knowledge about HGVs on my part. Can you explain please? (btw: this is a genuine question not a dig)

• 12 metres for a rigid vehicle
• 16.5 metres for an articulated vehicle if the articulated combination can turn within a concentric radii of 12.5 metres and 5.3 metres; otherwise 15.5 metres
• 18.75 metres for a road train (a combination of a lorry and a trailer)
If you put the cab in front of the engine you make the lorry longer so you would have to make the trailer shorter to compensate
having the cab on top of the engine means you can have the full length trailer

• 12 metres for a rigid vehicle
• 16.5 metres for an articulated vehicle if the articulated combination can turn within a concentric radii of 12.5 metres and 5.3 metres; otherwise 15.5 metres
• 18.75 metres for a road train (a combination of a lorry and a trailer)
If you put the cab in front of the engine you make the lorry longer so you would have to make the trailer shorter to compensate
having the cab on top of the engine means you can have the full length trailer
Cheers - that makes it clear. ^_^

Here's a little question that I'd like you all to answer to yourself: that drag sweep that drivers are unable to monitor (or can only monitor with great difficulty), and which regularly takes out unwitting passing cyclists, who is responsible for it? Who owns the problem, in other words?

I am interested to know, how many cyclists taken out in this area, hold a full driving license?

When learning to drive, I was taught not to be in that area on roundabouts and bends, as that gap can close very very quickly.

A few years later I got my bike license, and again was told not to be anywhere near that area at junctions or filtering, or be alongside them during any tight turns.

I wouldn't put a motorcycle behind the cab and infront of the rear axle in a car, never on a motorcycle, and certainly won't be there on a bicycle.

How many of those hit in these situations have had no kind of road training, or licensing in which they are taught how dangerous these large vehicles are.

HGV's will always have large blind spots, but as a vulnerable road user, we have to avoid putting ourselves in a position of increased risk, and HOPE that the driver notices something that he cannot see nor hear.

I for one, would rather take charge of my own safety, than rely on others in vehicles to look out for me.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I am interested to know, how many cyclists taken out in this area, hold a full driving license?

When learning to drive, I was taught not to be in that area on roundabouts and bends, as that gap can close very very quickly.

A few years later I got my bike license, and again was told not to be anywhere near that area at junctions or filtering, or be alongside them during any tight turns.

I wouldn't put a motorcycle behind the cab and infront of the rear axle in a car, never on a motorcycle, and certainly won't be there on a bicycle.

How many of those hit in these situations have had no kind of road training, or licensing in which they are taught how dangerous these large vehicles are.

HGV's will always have large blind spots, but as a vulnerable road user, we have to avoid putting ourselves in a position of increased risk, and HOPE that the driver notices something that he cannot see nor hear.

I for one, would rather take charge of my own safety, than rely on others in vehicles to look out for me.

Have you bothered to read any of this thread? Do you know the first thing about how the lorries in question have been killing cyclists and pedestrians? Clue - it isn't in the way you insinuate. What is your answer to @deptfordmarmoset's question, which you appear to have quoted without giving it the slightest thought?

Last edited:
I was responding to the bit, about who is responsible for that space.

I suspect like a lot of incidents involving these vehicles, that most involve somebody undertaking a lorry turning left, or trying to go with a lorry and getting squeezed or dragged under the back of the lorry as it turns.

If you feel that I have misunderstood the area of the lorry that poses the risk, then the post I quoted was also inaccurate "that drag sweep that drivers are unable to monitor (or can only monitor with great difficulty), and which regularly takes out unwitting passing cyclists"

Either way, "who is responsible for it? Who owns the problem, in other words?" That area is part of the lorries space, and while it may be the drivers "legal duty" to ensure that space is clear, we have to understand that it is difficult for them to do so, and to not be in that area.

For cyclists it is also mainly trucks overtaking them and turning across their paths, and not cyclists deliberately positioning themselves on the nearside of lorries, that has led to their deaths, but that hasn't stemmed the relentless flow of "advice" to cyclists. And any chance you can cut down on the gratuitous abuse?.

I assume your posts relates to this earlier one you made.

I also believe that it is the only post in the thread suggesting that lorries overtake and then turn across. In which case, it is merely your opinion or belief on it, which differs from mine. Unless of course you can provide a credible source to back your opinion up?

Top Bottom