What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought this from an online bookclub/shop for about £2.50 a week ago. If bought new i think it's about 30 quid. It's not in bad condition for the price...and a spiffing read as well!!:okay:
1594073373140.png

tyred

Legendary Member
Phil Llewellin's The road to Muckle Flugga. I read his stuff many years ago in CAR magazine and had been intending to read this for years. I bought a second hand copy online along with other books I'd been meaning to read as lockdown started. Really enjoying it. He was a great travel writer.:becool:

th?id=OIP.jpg

Phil Llewellin's The road to Muckle Flugga. I read his stuff many years ago in CAR magazine and had been intending to read this for years. I bought a second hand copy online along with other books I'd been meaning to read as lockdown started. Really enjoying it. He was a great travel writer.:becool:

View attachment 534676

I have that with a different cover (earlier edition)
I first came across Llewellin, with his Long Distance Diary in Truck magazine
(as a 13 - 16 year old, I had a subscription to it)

stephec

Legendary Member
Bought this at ASDA

View attachment 544446

If it's even half the book his 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' is, it'll certainly be fascinating!!:okay:
I'll probably take it to work, for meal-break indulgence

It's the little things that he picks up on, like;
How 2 of the lightest elements, Hydrogen & Oxygen, combine to make something so heavy (water)

Some reviews;

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Guide-Occupants-Bill-Bryson/dp/085752240X/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bill+bryson&qid=1598813847&sr=8-3

I'm a few chapters into that at the moment, it's having to work hard to keep my interest.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
A gentle tale of a ride around the UK

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I just read The Birds, a collection of short stories by Daphne du Maurier.

I had NO idea DdM wrote The Birds (which bears very little resemblance to the film). But it's incredible - utterly chilling, gave me disturbing dreams. There are 5 or 6 short stories in the book and even though short stories aren't usually my thing, they were all gripping and unsettling. One of my very favourite reads of 2020.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am reading Waverley by Sir Walter Scott, which is pretty good, although a bit slow reading. Also reading The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin. It's a bit redundant reading it after having watched the film, but it's still good. Also reading The Bridge Busters by Mark Felton, which was about a raid to bomb two German aqueducts early in the war. I expect they succeeded or he wouldn't have written a book about it.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Anna Karenina. Ooh, 'ark at me.

(Have to say, never having read any before I can see why Tolstoy is so revered.)
I had a friend at college who surprised me by saying he was reading that. I was surprised because he was 18 years old and on an Software Engineering HND course. He said it was good.

Top Bottom