What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pevsner's "Lincolnshire".
I have only been to Lincoln Cathedral once, it is the of the greats and the book is meticulous in detail, as with all the other Counties' series.
I wouldn't recommend as a light read before bed.

C R

Guru
The Secret Barrister. Terrifying and horrifying, but a good read nonetheless.

All uphill

Still rolling along
"Exactly" by Simon Winchester.

Great book for anyone interested in precision engineering.

Had me thinking hard about the difference between "accuracy" and "precision".

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Something which reminds me what a slacker I was in school.

Book of Fire: William Tyndale, Thomas More and the Bloody Birth of the English Bible

Tyndale’s schooling gave him a thorough grounding in Latin. Boys learnt to speak and write elementary Latin in the early forms. Classes then progressed from Aesop and Terence in the third form to Horace’s epistles and Ovid’s Metmorphoses in the seventh, by way of Virgil, Cicero’s letters and Caesar’s history. In the eighth class, the science of grammar was studied in depth. Verse was rendered into prose, and vice versa, translations were made, and, though Ovid’s lascivious De arte amandi was strictly off the menu, Virgil was read out ‘voce ben sonora to bring out the majesty of his poetry’.

The Latin diet remained at the university. English had such lowly status that undergraduates were forbidden to speak it within the precincts of the hall, except at feasts and on holidays. It was compulsory for them to use Latin, although French was tolerated as an alternative in some colleges. Tyndale’s love of English – ‘our mother tongue’, he said, ‘which doth correspond with scripture better than ever Latin may’ – was eccentric. It was spoken by only three million people on their foggy island; and the English themselves largely governed, educated and prayed in Latin. A foreign scholar or cleric, such as Erasmus, lived for several years in England, and followed a lively social and academic life, without speaking any English.

The MA course began with the trivium, the ‘liberall artes’, a trio of grammar, rhetoric and logic. Tyndale will have read the Rhetoric of Aristotle, Boethius’s Topics, Cicero’s Nova Rhetorica and some works of Ovid and Priscian. His insight into rhetoric was greatly to influence his prose. The mark of all Tyndale’s writing is its brilliant resonance when read aloud. From the trivium, he moved on to the quadrivium, of arithmetic, music, astronomy and geometry. Whether Tyndale was musical or not, we do not know, though singing and playing music were a favourite student pastime; but the sense of rhythm and cadence that floods his work shows that he had a sensitive ear. He did not write poetry either and was somewhat sour to colleagues who did, and yet his images and his gift for the mood of words reveal a poetic temperament.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Just finished Stephen King's The Stand. For the third time. It's a very big book to read three times (once in extended form) and, to be honest, it's nowhere near as good as when I read it previously.

It was a shame that after all Stu Redman and Tom "M-O-O-N" Cullen went through the committee reopened the bars in the Boulder Freezone, social distancing went out the window, and Captain Trips took hold again...

Anyway, now onto my first Alan Furst novel. It's shaping up nicely already.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fear & loathing on the campaign trail '72. Few of the small and ever-declining number of people who recognise the name Hunter S Thompson will know him as anything but the drug-addled lunatic so ably portrayed by Johnny Depp. In truth, as well as a drug-addled lunatic, he was also one of the most incisive political commentators of his own or any other age - and much of what he says about early-'70s American politics remains disturbingly familiar today, here. Eg:

And how many more of these stinking, double-downer sideshows will we have to go through before we can get ourselves straight enough to put together some kind of national election that will give me and the at least 20 million people I tend to agree with a chance to vote for something, instead of always being faced with that old familiar choice between the lesser of two evils?

...Now, with another one of these big bogus showdowns looming down on us, I can already pick up the stench of another bummer. I understand, along with a lot of other people, that the big thing, this year, is Beating Nixon. But that was also the big thing, as I recall, twelve years ago in l960 - and as far as I can tell, we’ve gone from bad to worse to rotten since then, and the outlook is for more of the same.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Fear & loathing on the campaign trail '72. Few of the small and ever-declining number of people who recognise the name Hunter S Thompson will know him as anything but the drug-addled lunatic so ably portrayed by Johnny Depp. In truth, as well as a drug-addled lunatic, he was also one of the most incisive political commentators of his own or any other age - and much of what he says about early-'70s American politics remains disturbingly familiar today, here. Eg:

And how many more of these stinking, double-downer sideshows will we have to go through before we can get ourselves straight enough to put together some kind of national election that will give me and the at least 20 million people I tend to agree with a chance to vote for something. instead of always being faced with that old familiar choice between the lesser of two evils?

...Now, with another one of these big bogus showdowns looming down on us, I can already pick up the stench of another bummer. I understand, along with a lot of other people, that the big thing, this year, is Beating Nixon. But that was also the big thing, as I recall, twelve years ago in l960 - and as far as I can tell, we’ve gone from bad to worse to rotten since then. and the outlook is for more of the same.
Re read Hells Angels recently.Forgot how much I liked his books when first read.

Top Bottom