What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Also Breakout at Stalingrad by Heinrich Gerlach. He had been in Stalingrad and then a prisoner of war, when he wrote the book. The book is fine, the really interesting story is how he came to remember it after he had been released (it was confiscated before his release).

Currently reading Pyramids by Terry Pratchett. The county library has removed most of his best books so cannot get many of them now.

That's one of my favourite standalone Discworld books, very funny.

mustang1

Guru
I usually read several books at time. Currently
Imran Khan (mainly good but with some points that make me wonder if they really happened that way),
Macroeconomics made clear (if you like that kinda stuff),
Letters from an Astrophysicist (excellent book by Neil Tyson who also has a YouTube channel).

Thursday 2nd

I’ve been into Wakefield this morning, as l needed a new headlamp bulb
I also picked up this book, that l’d ordered (from Waterstones)
I’ll leave it until l’ve finished ”Making It So”

500 pages of ‘TBBT’ goodness!!

IMG_8116.jpeg

Very much enjoyed The Remains of the Day, finished last week.
Now reading Charles Spencer’s To Catch A King, about the escape of Charles II from Worcester. Verdict so far, very readable and most interesting.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In the last few days.

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. Again.
The 39 steps by John Buchan.Again.
Chocky by Wyndham Lewis. Again.

Treasure Island is a stonking good story isn't it?
I re-read it as an adult a few years back and it is brilliant. And as an adult I appreciated the characters' complexities far more and the way it is very much told through the child Jim's eyes.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've just finished 'Trust' by Hernan Diaz, our bookclub book. I found it dull and the characters unbelievable and uninteresting.

In contrast Colm Toibin's 'The Magician's is a treat. It tells the story of Thomas Mann.

Fire and Blood by George RR Martin

Its the book that House of the Dragon TV Series is based on and a different style to A Song of Fire and Ice that Game of Thrones is based on. This book is written in the style of a historical record. Think of it as 15th century historian writing a chronolgical history of the throne of britain for the previous 500 years.

The book that I’ve read recently that was an unexpected delight was Damian Barr’s memoir of growing up in Motherwell during the 80’s. Titled ‘Maggie and Me’, I got it out of the library purely on the grounds that I enjoy watching his Great Scottish Book Club on telly. I’m even more of a fan now :smile:

Just finished "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. It's one of those that you've got to read, but I don't think I'd pick it up again. The concept was unsettling though the writing was really good, and it left me with more questions than answers at the end. Glad I read it though.

Now back on familiar territory, revisiting Jack Campbell's (John Hemery's) "The Lost Fleet" series.

simongt

Guru
Typical for me, several books on the go; some real books, some on my Kindle or Audiobook app.
Andrew Marr's 'History of the World', J.B.Priestly's 'Journey Through England', 'Railways' by Simon Bradley, 'Trees & Woodland in the British Landscape' by Dr. Oliver Rackham, 'The Biscuit' by Lizzie Collingham.
As you can see, I'm not a 'one subject' bod - ! :laugh:

GetFatty

Über Member
Just finished The Bad Weather Friend by Dean Koontz. I think it’s the first book of his I’ve read and I was expecting something akin to Stephen King but it isn’t really a horror or even a thriller. On audio I’ve just finished In Love With The World by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche about a Buddhist abbot who leaves his monastery to explore the world and almost dies. Next up on audio is The Worlds I See by Fei-Fei Li about a scientist working on AI.

For actual reading I’m now on The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

The best book I’ve read recently is I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Best audible The Coming Wave by Mustafa Suleyman

Top Bottom