What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Although about 95% of my books are non fiction, ironically two of my favourite books are both fiction; 'The Shepherd' by Frederick Forsythe and 'Johnathan Livingston Seagull' by Richard Bach.
Work that one out - ! :laugh:

Chief Broom

Veteran
The Way of the Hermit by Ken Smith
Saw this book in a charity donation pile at my local co-op, worth a punt at £1 :okay: Its a true story about a nomadic type who having spent some time hiking in Canada returns to the UK and desperately wants to return to the wilds. Living by his wits and roaming the highlands he gets permission to build a log cabin by Loch Treig, He works as a ghillie/deer stalker, grows his own veg, catches fish/game etc. It aint all roses though and he suffers many hardships before achieving his dream. ,,,nearly lost a foot to hypothermia and had a close call with a grizzly bear when he was in the Yukon. An entertaining gritty story, good stuff :okay:

GetFatty

Über Member
Are Hemingway’s books worth it or overrated? I tend not to like the stuff reviews normally rave about: Atonement was one of the very rare books I gave up on for example but I’m considering the Sun Also Rises

AndyRM

XOXO
Are Hemingway’s books worth it or overrated? I tend not to like the stuff reviews normally rave about: Atonement was one of the very rare books I gave up on for example but I’m considering the Sun Also Rises

There's a collection of his best short stories if you want to get an idea if he's for you. If you're going all in, A Farewell to Arms, Old Man and the Sea and A Moveable Feast are all great IMO.

The Sun Also Rises is a fab read.

I prefer Nutshell and Enduring Love from McEwan. Saturday and Between the Sheets are really good too. Haven't read his latest but it seems to be well thought of.

Last edited:

GetFatty

Über Member
Currently reading Enemy of God by Bernard Cornwall. It is the second book in a trilogy loosely based on the Arthurian legends. I saw an advert on ITV for The Winter King, a dramatisation of the first book, t'other week when watching the snooker. Read the first book in a couple of nights

I’ve read all 3 books and watched The Winter King. In my opinion it’s one of those where it’s probably a decent series unless you’ve read the books

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I’ve read all 3 books and watched The Winter King. In my opinion it’s one of those where it’s probably a decent series unless you’ve read the books

I watched the first episode, then started reading the book, noticed a load of changes in the tv series and haven't watched another episode. I can't think of a book being turned into a decent TV series.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Next books: re-read His Dark Materials, slower this time...

I'm a sod for reading too quickly, I'm always having to go back as something doesn't make sense due to me not reading a particular sentence or paragraph.

GetFatty

Über Member
I watched the first episode, then started reading the book, noticed a load of changes in the tv series and haven't watched another episode. I can't think of a book being turned into a decent TV series.

Although more fantasy I did prefer Lawhead’s Pendragon series but I did stop after Arthur and will have to go and read the last three books

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've just re-read " Bonjour Tristesse" by Francoise Sagan, from 1954. I thoroughly enjoyed it; beautifully written and believable situations and characters.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

I did not think much of To Whom the Bell Tolls. In the edition I read all the swearing was censored, which made it seem silly. I dare say modern readers might find it sexist.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am reading Barry Lyndon by W.M. Thackeray. It is quite funny and rather cynical. It is about this Irishman. He's a total rogue, but does not seem to understand that he is. He does not think he is doing anything wrong. Stanley Kubrick made a very critically, very long adaption of it, which hardly anyone watched. It starred Ryan O'Neil, who I cannot imagine playing the part.

C R

Guru
I did not think much of To Whom the Bell Tolls. In the edition I read all the swearing was censored, which made it seem silly. I dare say modern readers might find it sexist.

A Farewell to Arms is ok, The Old Man and the Sea drags a bit. For Whom the Bell Tolls drags a lot.

Gillstay

Über Member

I think Farewell to arms is very much so having read a great deal about that front and how the troops were treated.

Top Bottom