What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Blood Road by Stuart Macbride. Not really my usual reading but set in Aberdeen and surrounding area. Strange to find a book where the description of locations is accurate which is mostly what kept me reading it.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Currently re-reading The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. This'll be either the third or fourth time I've read the series. Dresden is a great character and the villains and supporting characters are inspired. Wizards, magic, fae, werewolves, monsters and vanilla humans. Fun to be had. In fact, I could sneak through a few pages now... :laugh:

Picked this up, at one of the Ward book-sales, to read pre-work, & on meal-breaks

As much as I like Bryson, this is hard-work in the opening chapters

Barring his present, 'The Body' book, it's probably the only I'd not read

Smudge

Veteran
Picked this up, at one of the Ward book-sales, to read pre-work, & on meal-breaks

As much as I like Bryson, this is hard-work in the opening chapters

View attachment 495324

Barring his present, 'The Body' book, it's probably the only I'd not read

I read that many years ago, pretty sure i enjoyed it. I've read almost all his books and have loved all of them, with the exception of Mother Tongue i tried to read recently. I just could not get into that and found it really boring, so boring in fact i couldn't finish it.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The Blood Road by Stuart Macbride. Not really my usual reading but set in Aberdeen and surrounding area. Strange to find a book where the description of locations is accurate which is mostly what kept me reading it.
I read one of his books last year. I thought it was good. The detective had such a terrible day one day, I would have marked its anniversaries by taking the day off and not getting out of bed. Then he had an even worse one two days later, and an extremely unlikely one about two days after that. If it were me I'd be thinking 'What's going on? Am I in a coma dreaming all this?"

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Anno Dracula, The Red Baron. The second book by Kim Newman. A tail of vampires, and the 1st world war.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I am going to reread Talented Mr Ripley at some point soon. I finished another Patricia Highsmith book last week - 'Carol'. Good book; the Cate Blanchett film is very good, and identical to the book.

When I read old books (60's and earlier), I am always struck by how many characters smoke, and how much they smoke. Same with old films.

Edit: didn't enjoy it as much second time round. It runs out of steam after the murders. The film is much better.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
Almost finished How Not To Be A Boy, by Robert Webb.
This is the Peep Show, Mitchell & Webb guy and its autobiographical mainly about his childhood years, then through university. Its a really enjoyable read with many parts that have made me laugh out loud.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Jack Reacher...well I managed 200 pages.
Read the reviews on the back:laugh: Ffs
What a boring eventless load of drivel.

Make Me ...I don't think so

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
Just finished Ben Elton's Identity Crisis.
A wonderful satire on today's political correctness and everyone being offended about everything. The age of 'hashtag hostility' on social media and today's culture of reality tv with people being made into celebs and knocked down just as easily.
In the middle of all this we have the Russians subversively stirring things up and political agendas everywhere.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One of my Book Club ladies came up with Pure by Andrew Miller - never heard of author, never mind title, but what a revelation! I'm only a few chapters in, but some of the descriptive writing in particular is wonderful. For just one short eg..

1583315086729.png

How has such a great writer so entirely passed me by? Well not any more...

Top Bottom