What bike should I buy? New to cycling and riding to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kotecha04

I am looking to buy a bicycle, initially to use for fitness and to gain confidence on riding my bike on the road. I will mainly be using this bike to travel 15 miles each way to and from work. (as currently public transport is not an option)

Looking for some advise on what type of bicycle to purchase - not looking to spend anything crazy. I have done some homework on frames and look at some articles but really looking for some expert advise.

Any tips, ideas, bicycles you can recommend?

Bike size: Medium between 17-19 inches
Articles recommend: Hybrid bike
Comfort level?
Easy to ride?
Cost?

Thanks in advance

AK

vickster

Legendary Member
Welcome :smile:

What's your budget...one person's crazy is another's utterly absurd! :smile: At least in normal times, there are dozens of bikes that work for commuting, hybrids, roadbikes.

All bicycles are pretty easy to ride :smile: It depends a bit on the terrain and road layout etc. For 15 miles, do not get a hybrid with suspension for road riding.

Are there any hills of note on your commute? Where are you going from and to in London?

Just to warn you, 30 miles a day is big mileage for a new cyclist - you'll want to allow plenty of time to get to work (and home again if you have childcare commitments for example)

How tall are you - 17 to 19" can be a big range if one is too big and one too small :smile:

Another difficulty is that there is a lack of bikes, especially in the common middle sizes - so you may need to wait some time, flex your budget, be flexible on looks and colour unfortunately. Don't compromise on fit and size however!

Maybe an odd question, are you male or female. If the latter, it might be easier to get a women's bike than a unisex one (men can also ride women's bikes of course, just change the saddle)

Don't forget to include budget for extras/accessories - for example, 15 miles is quite a way to go with a backpack especially for a new cyclist and with summer coming, so strongly consider budgeting for a rack and panniers (although these don't have to be expensive unless you need them to be completely waterproof for example

Have you contacted any shops locally to see what they have?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
To add there have been very similar questions asked over the last month or two. Suggest having a look through the threads below yours for some other feedback or ideas :okay:

DSK

I will let others more in the know with Hybrids make some recommendations but, there are some great comfy road bikes too. As much choice in the bike world as there is in the car world. Don't be afraid to buy a quality used bike from the usual classifieds either.

For that kind of mileage, you seriously do not want to be faffing around with punctures so, decent puncture resistant tyres or tubeless should be a priority. Get yourself a decent mini pump too.

Disk brakes whilst not essential, would be desirable.

A couple of quality locks, if you need to leave it outside.

Last edited:
Giant contend
Planet X London road
Ribble cgr

All of the above are road bikes with dropped handle bars. That doesn't mean you're hunched over like a pro - you need never go down on the drops - but it gives you options.

Don't think that upright is more comfortable - especially with the mileage you are talking. Giant defy is a great used bike - I had many years out of used £250 giant defy

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant contend
Planet X London road
Ribble cgr

All of the above are road bikes with dropped handle bars. That doesn't mean you're hunched over like a pro - you need never go down on the drops - but it gives you options.

Don't think that upright is more comfortable - especially with the mileage you are talking. Giant defy is a great used bike - I had many years out of used £250 giant defy
Don’t think they make the London Road any more so it would need to be used

I really, really don't want to be negative, but I have to point out that (literally) going from 0 to 30 miles per day is a big, big ask, even if you are physically fit.

There's the physical aspects - you'll need a conditioned ass, the fact that you'll have to work after a 15 mile ride and cycle home after a day's work - no matter the weather.

There's also the time aspect. That's probably an hour at least each way.

I'd a good bit of utility and cycling experience under my ass when I decided to do a commute similar to yours. I built it up slowly, from 2 days to 3 days a week until it was regular to do 5 days. As well as building fitness & stamina, it gave me the opportunity to try different routes, figure out what to wear etc. All in all I took about two months to be comfortable.

Having said all that it was one of the best decisions I ever made! ^_^ I arrived to work in great form and no matter how bad the day was I had at least an hour on the way home to blow off steam and forget everything.

Once I decided to commute I got myself a 2nd hand (non suspension) MTB for 40 quid, changed the tyres and stuck an old rack on the bike.

There's a whole lot of info here if you do a search.

Best of luck!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Agree with the above comment. There's no way I would want to ride 15 miles to work, be on my feet all day whilst at work, then ride another 15 miles home. Especially if it's pissing with rain or a windy day. Cycling is not a pleasant activity anyway in inclement weather and add in a day's work on top and it becomes even less pleasant.
Don't underestimate the time it will take out of your week either. 30 miles in traffic is going to take you anywhere between 2 1/2 and 3 hours a day in travel time. If you've got a headwind against you, you may struggle to better a 10 mph average speed, and 15 miles riding into the wind is tiring. Then you've got to get up the following morning and do it again, plus do a day's work.

rivers

How far can I go?
As someone who cycles close to 30 miles/day when commuting to work, it's doable. But not immediately. I built up to it, starting with 2-3 days/week. I can now do the commute in less than an hour both ways (in nice weather. Winter takes about 1:10). In really sh*t weather, I would take the bus. Probably won't take the bus once I return to my office, and will just tough it out. But this winter was soul destroying with the constant wind and rain.

Brooks

Strange times with everyone wanting a bike now, and I must be extremely difficult as I'm hearing everything cheap is sold out. With that in mind get yourself a 2nd hand bike and just enjoy riding it. As others have said 15 miles is a tall order off the bat. Ride whatever bike you get as often as you can to build up your cycling stamina and you'll be fine. 6 months down the line you'll know only full well if cycling is for you and you can make an informed decision on what kind of bike is best for yo.

Reactions: DSK
Top Bottom