What book are you currently reading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just completed The Time Machine, H.G. Wells.
Always wondered how much the various films matched the original. The answer is - not much!

War of the Worlds next :smile:

Doseone

Guru
Into_the_Wild_(book)_cover.png

Berties

Fast and careful!
The Red and Green Life Machine by Rick Jolly,about the medics in the falklands war,it good to read a book and recognise a few names,and the good work the medics did for both sides

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I'm re-reading 2001: A Space Odyssey and loving it.

Despite being written in 1968 it is still very accessible and I find myself relating current technology to the ideas Arthur presented in the story; such as the news beamed to the transport ship taking Dr. Floyd to the moon base (Internet / Netbook anyone?) and HAL 9000 who, 44 years on, is still being worked on, in small bits, in labs the world over, but it still nowhere near becoming a reality.

What are you reading?

have you read the other 3 Shaun? Amazing series

Im currently reading 'A Time Odyssey' by Arthur C Clarke

Rasmus

Without a clever title
The latest effort of Scottish satirist Chris Brookmyre, When the Devil Drives.

Not his best work, but still decently entertaining.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
"An Instance of the Fingerpost" by Iain Pears. Described by P D James as "A fictional tour de force which combines erudition with mystery".

The description below is from the Amazon website.

An Instance of the Fingerpost is that rarest of all possible literary beasts--a mystery powered as much by ideas as by suspects, autopsies and smoking guns. Hefty, intricately plotted, and intellectually ambitious, Fingerpost has drawn the inevitable comparisons to Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose; and, for once, the comparison is apt.
The year is 1663, and the setting is Oxford, England, during the height of Restoration political intrigue. When Dr Robert Grove is found dead in his Oxford room, hands clenched and face frozen in a rictus of pain, all the signs point to poison. Rashomon- like, the narrative circles around Grove's murder as four different characters give their version of events: Marco da Cola, a visiting Italian physician--or so he would like the reader to believe; Jack Prestcott, the son of a traitor who fled the country to avoid execution; Dr. John Wallis, a mathematician and cryptographer with a predilection for conspiracy theories; and Anthony Wood, a mild- mannered Oxford antiquarian whose tale proves to be the book's "instance of the fingerpost" (the quote comes from the philosopher Bacon, who, while asserting that all evidence is ultimately fallible, allows for "one instance of a fingerpost that points in one direction only, and allows of no other possibility").

Chaplain Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novel - Dead Until Dawn.
Thoroughly enjoyable series

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Virolution.

It is an interesting book about 'viral symbiosis', the role of viruses in the evolution of animals. It is heavy reading because I don't have a clue what half of the things are that are being described but I understand enough to see that the subject is both fascinating and very, very scary!

For example - apes might have evolved to be immune to the retrovirus that became HIV and happily hosted it. They in return benefited from it when rival non-immune apes tried muscling in on their territory only to be wiped out by the virus. The virus eventually crossed over into humans and we know what the result of that has been.

Much nastier things than HIV/aids are going to hit us sooner or later, which is why so much fuss was made about swine flu, bird flu and SARS. The author talks about 'plague culling'. As an example of how serious this kind of thing can get - 99.8% of rabbits in SE Australia died of myxomatosis within 3 months of rabbits infected with myxoma virus being released into the wild there!

We had the Black Death, and Spanish Flu. It is only a matter of time before something that bad (or even worse) happens again and it could take years to come up with a cure, even with the best modern technology and international cooperation. Some humans will have or develop immunity to whatever it is, but 9/10 of the global population might be weeded out by it before that cure is found.

Be afraid. Be very afraid! :eek:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
have you read the other 3 Shaun? Amazing series

Im currently reading 'A Time Odyssey' by Arthur C Clarke

I didn't know there were any more - I'll search them out when I've finished this one. :thumbsup:

Although they may have to wait until I've given Neuromancer a go - kindly sent my way by a generous CC/GC regular (thanks Moss ;)).

lordloveaduck

Re-reading Harry Adam Knights 'The Fungus'

012122.jpg

PLOT
"Jane Wilson is a famous scientist who seemed to have solved the World Hunger problem with genetically engineered fungi that contain virus-like enzymes. However, the fungus also has some deadly side-effects. The fungus would turn people into creatures that would only exist in nightmares. Some would be killed, while some of the ones who survive become insane. It destroys England, covering buildings, bridges, and so on with different species of fungi. The US and French governments are pressured to use atom bombs to stop the spread. To stop the French and American governments from using nukes, the British military enroles Jane's husband, the semi-successful author/formerly mycologist Barry Wilson to locate Jane and find out how to stop the plague. Accompanying him is Terence Slocock, a psychotic soldier who loves very powerful weapons, and Kimberly Fairchild, the mysterious South African mycologist.

The book frightend the 'BLEEP' out of me many years ago, still can't walk past fungas or have them anywhere near mexx( .
Thanks to Amazon i finally found this book again.

Top Bottom