What book are you currently reading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Durian

Über Member
Just finished Round the Bend by Jeremy Clarkson, amusing because it's not PC.

Before that I read We Were Young And Carefree by Laurent Fignon, very enjoyable read and a good insight in to the life of a professional cyclist.

Next up is Mr Nice by Howard Marks.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Draft BSI paper about the safe use of cranes.

ZZZZzzzzz..... thud

martint235

Dog on a bike
Game of Thrones by George R R Martin. The tv series was great so I thought I'd give the books a go. The story is great though the writing is occasionally lacking. Worth a read, particularly if you like historical novels by the likes of Conn Iggulden and the comedy fantasy of Terry Pratchett.
Yep I'm reading Game of Thrones again. I haven't seen the TV series since I got rid of Sky but the publicity made me think it was time to give it another go as I've not read it for about 10 years.

Herbie

Veteran
I'm re-reading 2001: A Space Odyssey and loving it.

Despite being written in 1968 it is still very accessible and I find myself relating current technology to the ideas Arthur presented in the story; such as the news beamed to the transport ship taking Dr. Floyd to the moon base (Internet / Netbook anyone?) and HAL 9000 who, 44 years on, is still being worked on, in small bits, in labs the world over, but it still nowhere near becoming a reality.

What are you reading?
Stephen Roche "Born to ride"

Nihal

Veteran
Whiteout-Ken Follet,a nice Scottish influenced book;)

Next will be R.K.Narayan:reading:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Killing For Company: The Case Of Dennis Nilsen - Brian Masters

I have read quite a few books about serial killers lately, why I do not know I guess it's just to try and figure out what causes them to do such things. Other books I have read that were also very good on the subject:

Fred & Rose - Howard Sounes.

One Of Your Own: The Life And Death Of Myra Hindley - Carol Ann Lee. This was a great book allowing the reader to decide whether or not Hindley should ever have been released based on what she had done i.e. was she totally besotted with Brady and pressured/abused into doing what she did. I personally agreed that the home secretary was correct never releasing her. If she had been a part of just one murder (not the act itself, helping with the abduction) and then felt guilty and came clean to the police, then maybe. But to repeatedly do it and appear to enjoy being infamous during her incarceration and other facts lead me to believe that she was a truly evil woman and a pretty intelligent one at that.

U

User482

Wild Swans by Jung Chang.
An account of three female generations set against the backdrop of the communist revolution in China. It's moving, cruel and violent story, but told with great intelligence, and a measured writing style that enhances rather than detracts from the account. A must read.

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
One of the best opening lines in any book I've read "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice." Part family story, part mysticism, for me it's the beautiful prose style that makes it great. It was more than halfway through the book that I wondered about the title - then realised that it's each Buendia family member that experiences a different kind of profound solitude.

At Home by Bill Bryson.
The companion book to "A Short History of Nearly Everything", it's an exploration of human history using his own home as the vehicle. Whilst much of the subject matter is only tenuously linked to his home, it's written with his usual wit and charm, and for the most part is genuinely interesting.

I really should try to finish these books!

GBC

Veteran
I'm taking time out from reading proper books with a bit of Bill Bryson, generally good for at least one laugh-out-loud per page - a damn fine average.

If you want a laugh-out-loud Bill Bryson book, avoid "At Home". It's his first that I haven't really enjoyed.

Top Bottom