What book are you currently reading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GBC

Veteran
"All hell let loose" by Max Hastings. It's the story of WWII but from a social perspective rather than just another military history. Very readable and very well researched (so far, half way through at the moment).

Before that, Mark Cavendish's autobiography "Boy Racer" which was OK but the Armstrongesque poor-boy-makes-good didn't really wash.

gavgav

Guru
Penguin's Stopped Play - Great book about a village cricket team and their escapades on various cricket tours around the world. Having been on many cricket tours myself I have rolled with laughter at some of the experiences they have had :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
One of the best opening lines in any book I've read "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice." Part family story, part mysticism, for me it's the beautiful prose style that makes it great. It was more than halfway through the book that I wondered about the title - then realised that it's each Buendia family member that experiences a different kind of profound solitude.

:thumbsup: :sad:

Last Man Down - The fireman's Story, by Daniel Paisner. It's about a chap called Richard 'Pitch' Picciotto, who was a New York Fire Department batallion commander and one of the many who attended the World Trade Centre on September the 11th 2001, having attended it previously when a bomb was detonated in it's underground car park some years earlier. He survived but I haven't read much so don't know the details yet.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
2010, 2061 and 3001. All are amazing, but 3001 is my fav :smile:

I've read both 2001 and 2010 several times... but was utterly disappointed with 2061 and as such, avoided 3001... would i enjoy it if i didn't like its predecessor?

Have just finished reading Hope & Glory by Stuart Maconie, a look at ten events which shaped modern Britain, from 1900-2000... very interesting indeed. Falls in the history/travel catergory of non-fiction.

I also recently finished reading The Road by Cormac Macarthy... i didn't finish the book, just stopped reading it... utterly utterly boring.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
2010, 2061 and 3001. All are amazing, but 3001 is my fav :smile:

I've read both 2001 and 2010 several times... but was utterly disappointed with 2061 and as such, avoided 3001... would i enjoy it if i didn't like its predecessor?

Have just finished reading Hope & Glory by Stuart Maconie, a look at ten events which shaped modern Britain, from 1900-2000... very interesting indeed. Falls in the history/travel catergory of non-fiction.

I also recently finished reading The Road by Cormac Macarthy... i didn't finish the book, just stopped reading it... utterly utterly boring.

Thomk

Guru
"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer". Free on Kindle to be followed by Huckleberry Finn etc.
Oh and the bible when I can be bothered and have a spare 10 minutes or so.

gbb

Legendary Member
The Fall Of Baghdad by Jon Lee Anderson.

Don't bother :huh:. Its meant to be an insight to the Iraqi psyche etc...gathered from all sections of iraqi society. Boring so far, i'm stuck with it now.

rollinstok

The man who smiled by Henning Mankell
Its one of those books that grab you despite being relatively slow going
Poor Wallander's life is in turmoil

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I don't really like it but I'm sure it's good for me.

Also reading Letters for a Spy by Stephen Benatar, who I've never heard of before but he was selling his books in Waterstones and I sorta felt sorry for him. It's not too bad so far. It's inspired by Operation Mincemeat to delude the Germans about where we were going to invade Europe.

Also reading From Empire to Europe by Geoffrey Owen which is about the British post war economic history.

Top Bottom