What book are you currently reading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Just finished Tom Sawyer. Can't believe I didn't read it when I was a kid, almost had me in tears in places! Huckleberry Finn next, looking forward to it.

Some of it is quite grotesque isn't it! Feel free to start a convo when you're reading Huck, I love talking about it.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a Victorian Terrace house, red brick, 1882 build.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've now moved onto The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy. Not sure why I've recently become hooked on his books but I'm slowly but surely working my way through the Jack Ryan / John Clark novels :scratch:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I discovered the Jack Reacher thrillers by "Lee Child" a couple of weeks ago. Utter, utter trash, and badly plotted too. Horribly addictive page-turners though. After a couple of hours you feel faintly queasy....almost as though you had pigged out on sweets.

Raymond Chandler was so, so, so much better, and absolute poetry to read.

[ please excuse the Brian Sewell moment there]

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Raymond Chandler was so, so, so much better, and absolute poetry to read.

I've tried a bit of Raymond Chandler but found him a bit too melancholy for my simpleton mind.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a Victorian Terrace house, red brick, 1882 build.

Melvil

Just read a history of the world in 100 objects, which was very informative and deftly written.

Makes you realise that humans haven't suddenly got more intelligent, it's just our technology has got more complex and very clever people were making ingenious inventions and works of art thousands of years ago.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I've just started reading 'Cycling home from Siberia' by Rob Lilwall. Only 40 or so pages in and it's not going well. After 300 or so miles through blizzards, they've had get the bus back to the starting point on Russia's east coast due to mechanical problems. And Lilwall's just announced he's a Christian and keeps banging on about it. Any more of that and the book's going straight back on the shelf!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've just started reading 'Cycling home from Siberia' by Rob Lilwall. Only 40 or so pages in and it's not going well. After 300 or so miles through blizzards, they've had get the bus back to the starting point on Russia's east coast due to mechanical problems. And Lilwall's just announced he's a Christian and keeps banging on about it. Any more of that and the book's going straight back on the shelf!
I thought the same but it's worth carrying on. Not sure I'll ever read it again, mind, but it does get better...

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I thought the same but it's worth carrying on. Not sure I'll ever read it again, mind, but it does get better...

That's good to know, I'll persevere - thanks!
I've got a book called 'You've gone too far this time Sir' by Danny Bent, to read next. About a teacher who rides to India from the UK on a bike called Shirley.
I must check to see if Josie Dew's got anything new out yet as it's been ages since her last book.

Top Bottom