What book are you guys currently reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Mentioning this one may be cheating :-)

119.jpg

http://www.airbookpublishing.com/119/

Last edited:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Private Games - James Patterson

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I am two thirds through the second volume of three of Winston Churchill's A History of the English Speaking Peoples. We've just had the Restoration and London is about to burn down.

gbb

Legendary Member
Vulcan 607...sorry can't remember the author.
My memories cr&p, I only read it maybe 18 months ago but the complexity of the missions, the planning, the occasional pure luck that they could still lay hands on the neccessary equipment for aircraft that were weeks or months from retirement, brilliant stuff, still enjoying it.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Having visited one of my most favourite shops in Sarnau (Wales), I am part way through a really good read.

All of One Company by Donald Moore. The novel of one Arctic convoy. Highly recommended.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Elizabeth David - English Bread and Yeast Cookery. It's actually a lot more interesting than it sounds.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Currently reading Lost in a Good Book - jasper Fforde in book form I also have an Agatha Christie on the go. The Secret Adversary. A Tommy & Tuppence story on my iPad.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Dry Guillotine-the memoirs of Devil's Island by Rene Belbenoit, written about his time there in the 1920's before his escape to America, with a bit of help from the British authorities in Trinidad. (The British were in the habit of allowing escapees from French Guiana a short stay, supplies, and a re-outfitting of their boat, or a different boat in which to continue their escape. Fair play, and all that.) His memoir was published many years before Papillion, by Henri Charrier. Renee Belbenoit also was an adviser on the movie Passage to Marseilles.

The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks. Excellent book by an interesting bloke - left school at 16 with no qualifications, worked on father's sheep farm in the Lakes, got bored, went to evening classes, ended up at Oxford studying History. Now consults for Unesco and runs his sheep farm.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux, the father of Louis Theroux. I read it years ago and am really enjoying re-reading it as I'm discovering all kinds of truths that I know from my own travels in Africa. Theroux travels from Cairo to Cape Town by African public transport, taking the time to talk with Africans along the way. The book is depressing because he notes the deterioration that has happened in Africa since he worked there 30 years before and at the same time the book gives cause for hope when he records the qualities of the individuals he meets.

Last night I read a few pages where he is crossing Tanzania by train; he passes through a village and sees a crowd of villagers sheltering from the hot sun underneath a mango tree. he wonders why, instead of crowding under one tree, they haven't simply planted a few mango seeds and allowed more shady trees to spring up for the benefit of the entire village. He concludes that it's just another example of Africans' lack of planning, which is something I have pondered for years - do Africans not plan ahead because Nature provides everything all year round whereas people in nothern and southern latitudes have grown up over millenia needing to plan six months ahead in order to survive the winter? Or it is an educational problem?

Top Bottom