What book are you guys currently reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

If the author was Sacha Baron-Cohen, I might agree with you. It was recommended to me by a psychologist, who, I am sure, knows what he is talking about.

Sorry, my original comment wasn't especially helpful, but the whole enquiry into alleged innate biological differences between male and female brains makes me despair. Louann Brizendine's books are an especially egregious example. There is a very long history of this sort of research - one hundred years ago eminent scientists measured the volumes of male and female skulls and tried to read biologically determined differences into those measurements. I don't suppose many would view this to be especially reputable these days, but all we seem to have done is moved onto different proxies to justify substantially the same conclusions. There is a social context to this of course - largely an appeal to empirical science to provide a veneer of respectability to the socially determined status quo of an imbalance between the men and women. I'd really recommend Cordelia Fine's book as a counterblast to the biological determinists. You may or may not agree with her, but I found her conclusions very persuasive

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sorry, my original comment wasn't especially helpful, but the whole enquiry into alleged innate biological differences between male and female brains makes me despair.
Yes - essentialist readings of these differences tend to read like arguments for maintenance of an unfair status quo (certainly with hindsight on those written some time ago). Even if you disagree ( @Speicher ), Fine's book should give you some idea of the confounding factors that (usually) haven't been taken into account in essentialist arguments, and is a jolly good read in any case.

postman

Legendary Member
The Returned - Jason Mott.i stumbled upon a new American series on telly by mistake this week.I was hooked.So i looked on Google trying to find more info,to see if i could buy the dvd.Well up came conflicting reviews.So last night i phoned the local Library to see if they had the book which inspired the series and hey presto this morning i collected it.So at the moment i am reading ,what i watched earlier.I think it is going to be good.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Currently half way through Resurrection by Leo Tolstoy. I just wanted something different to read so decided to try a bit of classic literature. I expected a heavy, dour read, but so far it has been excellent. Flows nicely, quite deep, especially concerning the main character's struggle with his conscience, but without getting bogged down, a good story with some great descriptives and quite funny in places too. Really enjoying the book; have got War & Peace lined up, as well as The Count of Monte Cristo, but they are both immense and I wonder if I will ever find the time for them.

lee1980sim

None, the library is too slow at getting my reservations ready, despite only letting you renew for 1 more week if someone has reserved a book you have on loan, it still takes them over a month to get the book, it took them 2 month to tell me a book I'd reserved was ready despite the book showing in the library I'd reserved it from, yes I did go down to get it but they couldn't find it, we need OCD people working in libraries that way they'll be more organised

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Blood River by Tim Butcher, the story of a journalist's journey through the Congo.

Has anyone read War & Peace? I downloaded it onto my Kindle a few weeks ago and although a few people have recommended Russian literature to me, the size of it puts me off. It will take about 6 weeks at least to read.

It's quite an easy read, albeit names are confusing - there are lots of names, and different names used for same person at times (maybe?). The "war" sections are extraordinary and really bring to life the confusion, fear, and naive glory seeking of some of the young brave soldiers.

Admittedly I only got half way as I got side tracked, bit easy reading as I say

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The City and the City, China Miéville.
Not enjoying it as much as the Bas-Lag books, but it's good.

I just finished Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London", which I really enjoyed.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
leeds.jpg

Top Bottom