What cleaning product do you use to wash your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today I washed my bike and used Muc Off Nano Tech Bike Cleaner. After rinsing off I used filled a bucket with a couple of capfuls of Liquid Soap Flakes and hot water. This is literally just pure liquid soap with nothing else added. I then washed using Muc Off brushes. I didn't use washing up liquid because I know it contains salt. I didn't use car shampoo as read that they contain wax which isn't good for disc brake rotors.

I've yet to come across a specific bicycle shampoo that you use in the same way as car shampoo.

I was wondering what you use to wash your bike?

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I ride mainly in London where there isn't much mud so the bikes stay pretty clean for long periods. I use the cheapest car shampoo I can find and clean the wheel rims with isopropyl alcohol to get rid of brake crud.

I ride mainly in London where there isn't much mud so the bikes stay pretty clean for long periods. I use the cheapest car shampoo I can find and clean the wheel rims with isopropyl alcohol to get rid of brake crud.
View attachment 559831
Do you have a link/source for a cheap supply of that alcohol for the rims?
I use washing up liquid but might be faster with that - i have to do several passes.
I assume it doesn't do the brake pads any harm?
As for washing the bike, haven't done it for years. Wipe with an oily rag if needed. I ride mostly roads, no MTBing.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Degrease the chain rings, cassette and chain, car shampoo* for washing, thorough rinse with cold water, dry off and polish with Mr Sheen.

*Washing up liquid is fine, along with most other detergents, it's just a question of thorough rinsing. Two or three minutes on the frame won't do any damage.

screenman

Legendary Member
TFR, but it 25 litre a time and mix it 5 parts water. Works out at about £15 for 125 litres, I would like somebody to tell me the difference between that and expensive bike cleaner.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Same way I clean mass spectrometers. Soap and water for the big bits, IPA and Autosol for the components.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't use muc off bike cleaner as it can be rather aggressive on anodised parts, especially older ones. Dulled my stem and bottle cages on my old MTB (needed a buff up after).

Car shampoo is fine, including discs and so is a dab of washing up liquid if needed but it does remove and wax you may have on the frame.

I'll use a little muc off protect and shine on the MTB before a muddy ride as it stops the mud sticking making hosing off quick.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I give a good brush with Gunk degreaser, leave a while then washing up liquid in hot water followed by a good spray of GT85 or similar.

Top Bottom