What cycling books do you have?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I only have four. I've read others, but so far kept only these.
Richard's New Bicycle Book, Richard Ballantine, 1988, had since around 1990.
Remaining three, all in the last year or so:
Inside The Peloton by Graham Fife, 2002, history of the TdF.
Tour de France by Marguerite Lazell, a more pictorial history, 2011.
Muck, Sweat & Gears by Alan Anderson, 2011. Great fun!
Whaddayagot?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've got a signed Chris Boardman book, never read it.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've got or had...
One of Lance Armstrong's. Ironically it was the best motivational book/read for me, shame it all was found to be so empty.
Cyclecraft. Usefully on occasions but one that's consigned to the bottom drawer.
Zinns book of cycle maintenance, a good read but I'm quite good at figuring stuff out anyway.
My Time by Bradley Wiggins, I didn't enjoy it, it seemed to be a confused series of recollections and anecdotes, no real structure to it.
Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder by Dave Barter. A 'really good collection of recollections and stories with a humorous style.

Sharky

Guru
I've got a few of the recent books given to me for xmas presents - hoy, wiggins, thomas and a reg harris book . Also a few TDF centenary books.

But more treasured are a couple of Jonny Helms cartoon books which were presents from my mum to my dad and signed by Helms. They knew each other well.

Also have a Frank Patterson book somewhere and a copy of the tribute supplement issued by Cycling in '67 following the death of Tommy Simpson.

Slick

Guru
Mrs Flying Scotsman by Anne Obree.

Not only was this written with Graham's consent, he wrote the foreword.

If anyone is in any doubt about what it takes to get to the top in any sport, read this.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Roads Were Not Built For Cars - Carlton Reid.
Good Vibrations, Crossing Europe On A Bike Called Reggie - Andrew P. Sykes.
Cycle For Life - Nicole Cooke.
One Man And His Bike - Mike Carter.
Adventure Cycle Touring Handbook - Stephen Lord.
Himalaya By Bike - Laura Stone.
Freewheeling Through Ireland - Edward Enfield.
Richards Bicycle Book - Richard Balantine.
Need For The Bike - dunno.
Bike Touring Survival Guide - Andrew Grant.
Mud, Sweat & Gears - Ellie Bennett.
Along The Med On A Bike Called Reggie - Andrew P. Sykes.
Four Cheeks To The Wind - Mary Bryant.
One Man And Lejog - Antony Last.
Cycles, Tents And Two Young Gents - Steve Roach.

Ellie Bennett and Steve Roachs books being particularly hilarious ^_^

Just finished reading "My Little Bike Ride" - Graham Rogers.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Cyclecraft, which appears to have been overtaken by time.
The Bike Book by Haynes, overtaken by internet sources.
Ralph's Far North by Ralph MacGregor a gift from some years ago and as yet unread.
Perhaps a bit dated now but I enjoyed reading The Wind in my Wheels by Josie Dew and found it inspirational in regard to solo touring.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A couple of Ned Boulting's, some bike ride route books received as well meaning gifts and I think there is also a well meaning gift of a bike maintenance book somewhere, but how they thought I needed help in that department I will never know!?!?!?! The Ned Boulting stuff always makes me chuckle when I re-read them....

Sixmile

Veteran
Cycling Home From Siberia - Present from my bro. Like many books, I've read the first few chapters
Pocket Guide to Bike Maintenance - Impulse buy from The Works.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The Bicycle Wheel, by Jobst Brandt. If you want to learn about wheel building, Jobst is your source.
Bicycle Touring Book, by Rob and Glenda Wilhelm. Arguably one of the better books on the subject.
Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual, by Harold Glenn. A great source for vintage cycle repair, as it's about 45 years old.
And many many more

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The Penguin Book of the Bicycle (Roderick Watson and Martin Gray).
A celebration of all things cycling from the beginning through to the mid 70s. A huge spread of subject matter, so it can't look at things in great depth, but that's very far from being a criticism. Well worth picking up if you spot it in a charity shop or similar.

Racing Through the Dark (David Millar).
No more to be said.

Tour 81: The Stories of the 1981 Tour of Italy and Tour de France (Sergio Penazzo and Pierre Martin).
Clearly written before anyone who speaks English understood "Giro". One of a series, and stupidly I didn't grab all that I could when I had the chance. A blow-by-blow account of the action and little else, but since I didn't follow the Tour avidly on TV until 1985, books like this mean I can sound as though I was an active fan a few years earlier.

Cycling in Europe (Nicholas Crane).
Horrendously dated nowadays (1984) and little use a practical guide, but it can still communicate brilliantly the essence of cycle touring. Now that the author is so familiar from BBC's Coast, I find it's impossible to read without hearing his voice. Includes the highly entertaining A-Z of horrors.

The Great Bike Race (Geoffrey Nicholson).
A detailed account of the 1976 Tour de France, with many diversions along the way. An infinitely fuller and more nuanced account than the 1981 offering mentioned above, and revered as a classic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom