What DIY equipment have you bought lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Grim. I did some tree-work for a guy who had lost his arm right up to the shoulder. He was working up at the local wood mill and still on his machine at tea break. One of his workmates playfully shoved him resulting in his horrific accident. He did get a decent payout. Enough to secure a little house. And now he is a manager at a large supermarket. Most people would sign on, so its testament to his good character.

We had a customer at work who was out on his own, in a field with a potato harvester on the back of his tractor.

A big stone got stuck in the back and instead of shutting it down (takes a while to restart) he got out and kicked it free like he did countless times before.

Unfortunately this time his foot got caught in it and the machine pulled him in, not very pretty..

Apparently it took 3 hours to get him out, they had to take the machine to pieces while he was still conscious.

Really sad turn of events as he had just put on a new set of boots, he said if he'd worn his old pair he'd easily have slipped them off before it got hold of his foot/ leg.

Sobering really how a few bad decisions can have life changing consequences..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm looking for a workbench for my garage, probably wooden. say 5 or 6 ft wide. Any recommendations?
I'm building my own... the ones online look a bit on the weedy* side and they're not cheap either. Already got a small bench vice and have been looking for a bigger (8") one (they're not cheap either)... but looking into dog holes and holdfasts which means i might not need the big vice after all.

*They'd be fine if fastened to a wall, but not so sure if they're free standing.

irw

Quadricyclist
A metre length of M10 studding, and some 2.5mm thick M10 penny washers. The attempt to lift a 70kg cabinet into the loft using lifting slings with the electric hoist was ultimately successful, but pretty hairy. Plan B using rigid clamping rods will be attempted tomorrow.

How can it possibly fail...?.:hyper:

Do you have a video camera set up ready to capture the moment you press the ‘up’ button and end up in the basement due to all this heavy stuff in your loft??!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Do you have a video camera set up ready to capture the moment you press the ‘up’ button and end up in the basement due to all this heavy stuff in your loft??!
Oh ye of little faith!:rolleyes: Five of the twelve sets of storage drawer units, and their contents, are up there already, about 400kg. When the whole lot is up there with the rest of my stuff, there will be a total of about 2 tonnes. No worries at all.

Have fun searching nervously in the dark for your plastic Christmas tree.:cry:

BTW, I'll post a piccie of one of the bikes being stashed shortly. It should just about fit through the loft hatch. The hoist moves a bit faster than I would like but its brisk pace is quite exciting.

MontyVeda

A digital angle level from Aldi for a tenner.
aab84393e665f69dbc261c5e1ee3fcbb7d51415c.jpg

Doubt I'll ever use the digital angle feature, but been needing a new spirit level since the bubbles disappeared from my old one.

MontyVeda

Not bought, but inherited my Dad's Bosch jigsaw... it's a million times better than my own £10 one.

BTW... the digital angle feature on that spirit level did come in handy when making my curtain pole out of plumbing :okay:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Recently bought one of these, https://www.diy.com/departments/jcb...store_code}&ds_rl=1272379&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

So much better than a handsaw.

MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I always buy Stanley spirit levels. Lifetime bubble guarantees. They send new ones out on an overnight delivery if you keep the original receipt.
Thanks... I'll bear that in mind.

The only saw I'll buy is the stanley jetcut/fatmax or whatever they call them next time i buy one... but the one I've got I've had for 20 years and unless i strike a nail, it'll last me another 20 years.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
People give me funny looks when i say "I actually enjoy using a handsaw." ...I do! I also prefer my proper plane to my electric one.
Give me electrickery every time. Every angle spot on with that saw. And so quick. Am doing a loft conversion at the moment. Cutting 6x2 by hand.🤔

My last tool purchase was a Ryobi drill. My first battery tool. I had one battery failure and Ryobi replaced under warranty and there is an internet tip of reviving dead batteries.
My Aldi multitool ( like the Parkside one above) died and I probably need another. Surprisingly useful.

I have recently bought a Logmatic log splitter. Kind of like a big slide hammer, that drives a steel wedge through a large log to split it into more manageable pieces for our log stove.
It is about as much effort as using an axe to split logs, but feels a lot safer....

Top Bottom