What do the following things mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

What side of the road was it on ?[/QUOTE]

Whatever side it was it would be interesting to know why it crossed over..

U

User169

Uh oh - sorry to hear. Getting/got it replaced?

Well, full disclosure, it might have been stolen. The last time I saw it was after I’d parked it at the station after the work Cristmas party. It may or may not be the case that I’m a little hazy as to exactly where I left it.

And when you travel through Utrecht central station that can be a problem as I think it has the biggest bike park in the world. There’s just bikes everywhere.

Bought a “new” one though. It pays itself back in a few weeks as the alternative is a bus.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru

But why distinguish between training and racing wheels.... is it the rim brake surface will get worn out on the racing wheels so one needs to preserve that as long as possible (due to racing wheels costing more)? Will racing and training wheels become irrelevant as everything moves towards disk brakes thus no rim wear thus use good wheels in all seasons?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
But why distinguish between training and racing wheels.... is it the rim brake surface will get worn out on the racing wheels so one needs to preserve that as long as possible (due to racing wheels costing more)? Will racing and training wheels become irrelevant as everything moves towards disk brakes thus no rim wear thus use good wheels in all seasons?
I guess rim wear / bearings and overall condition but for me its mainly about the tyres . You wouldn't put your best suit on to do a bit of gardening , would you ?
https://cycletechreview.com/2012/reviews/schwalbe-ultremo-ht-review/

screenman

Legendary Member
Choices, I like lots of them in life and I am glad that we have them. I do not fit in the penny pinching, save money at every cost bracket, I am happy to help create a few more jobs around the world.

U

User169

What proportion of all the bikes at Utrecht station would you reckon have been mislaid by their owners?

No idea, but I suspect the number of bikes that are deliberately abandoned is pretty high, although the powers that be are quite keen on removing bikes that aren't being used. Every six weeks or so a sticker appears on my bike - you have to remove them otherwise your bike gets towed.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
But why distinguish between training and racing wheels

It's one of those cycling traditions/superstitions, like shaving your legs - there are many explanations as to why people do it, but they generally don't stand up to much scrutiny.

Arguably, you should train on exactly the same set-up that you race on. Using a set of cheap non-aero wheels for training means that come race day, you won't be used to the different handling characteristics of your deep-section race wheels and your performance will suffer as a result. Your training bike might also have a different riding position to your race bike.

ETA: just thought of one quite good reason for using 'training' wheels - your race wheels will probably be tubulars, but if you're out on a solo training ride with no race support, clinchers will be preferable in case you get a puncture - much easier to do a roadside repair with clinchers.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
It's one of those cycling traditions/superstitions, like shaving your legs - there are many explanations as to why people do it, but they generally don't stand up to much scrutiny.

Arguably, you should train on exactly the same set-up that you race on. Using a set of cheap non-aero wheels for training means that come race day, you won't be used to the different handling characteristics of your deep-section race wheels and your performance will suffer as a result. Your training bike might also have a different riding position to your race bike.

ETA: just thought of one quite good reason for using 'training' wheels - your race wheels will probably be tubulars, but if you're out on a solo training ride with no race support, clinchers will be preferable in case you get a puncture - much easier to do a roadside repair with clinchers.

Good explanation.

Sounds like one of those "how much are you supposed to spend on a wedding ring" kinda things. No one really knows how it went from two weeks wages to three months! I guess it's secretly perpetuated by marketing dept; ditto with racing and training wheels.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2

Last time i had a puncture on a tub i squirted some pitstop in the valve , spun the wheel and then rode home . Still have that tub on the wheel . Punctures are not a worry , wearing out an expensive performance tyre for training is pointless .

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think @Cuchilo has a good point about the tyres - if you don't race, you may well use the same tyres for all occasions, but when you're racing, you want the lightest, supplest tyres possible and they generally aren't the hardest-wearing or the most puncture-proof.

I know that proper cyclocross racers (as opposed to dilettantes like me) have different tyres for different courses, depending on the terrain and conditions.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Last time i had a puncture on a tub i squirted some pitstop in the valve , spun the wheel and then rode home . Still have that tub on the wheel . Punctures are not a worry , wearing out an expensive performance tyre for training is pointless .

What are your thoughts on the idea that you should train using your race wheels so you can get used to their handling characteristics?

(I'm not a racer so any thoughts I may have on this matter are strictly second-hand - genuinely interested to get the views of someone who actually races.)

Top Bottom