What do we think will happen to the bike market post lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Used Bromptons seem to be listed at around 10% more than a couple of months ago, and they seem to be selling.

MarkF

Guru
What"s a canal bike?
Never really undestood why you sold that fine ridgeback you had.
Would have been ok along canalbanks?
I have also seen prices of old steel appear to go up.
Luckily i don"t really need any more at the mo, a wonder i got for £21 is in the topfloor back bedroom waiting to be built.

A canal ride for me might be 45-50 miles, the drive train gets caked in grit so a canal bike is a thing l don't particularly care about.

I sold that Ridgeback on a whim and it was a bleedin stupid thing do do.

I sold that Ridgeback on a whim and it was a bleedin stupid thing do do.

Yes was a thing of beauty from what i could see. I was interested in it i think when i first saw it for sale and you ended up getting it. Only reconciled i think because it was probably the wrong size for me.
Am sure you will find your canal bike in time. Can be little more than a good frame with worn out bits on it - that will put many buyers off. Get on old NOS alivio 8 speed chainset and plonk that on.

jay clock

Massive member
London mayor has announced that he is going to increase cycling by a factor of ten.
That must have some effect.
Much as I approve of cycling (of course) must admit to being a bit alarmed - there are some right nobbers on bikes.
Getting round London could become interesting.
I love a bike traffic jam in London. Coming up the Embankment (normally) there is a queue of 100+ bikes waiting at Big Ben. Great

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What"s a canal bike?

A bike that's been crashed into the canal by a rider who has consumed too much beer?

A colleague of mine has had two canal bikes so far - both Apollos. First one was immersed in the Grand Union then got stolen soon after. Yes, someone nicked an Apollo! It wasn't locked at the time though...
It's replacement has also been immersed but still works - for the time being....:rolleyes:

A bike that's been crashed into the canal by a rider who has consumed too much beer?

A colleague of mine has had two canal bikes so far - both Apollos. First one was immersed in the Grand Union then got stolen soon after. Yes, someone nicked an Apollo! It wasn't locked at the time though...
It's replacement has also been immersed but still works - for the time being....:rolleyes:
I once nearly owned a canal bike. And joined it. On a london group ride up the lee valley i skidded and ended up half on the bank/half over the canal, with the bike still between my legs. Kinda like the end of the italian job. Luckily, gradually i managed to slowly shift the fulcrum of me and the bike.
Real canal bikes should i think have weights in the inside of the top tube that can be moved as required.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The sensible course of action, for anyone who hasn't already got a bike, would be to sit out all this virus nonsense and wait until the supply situation improves and prices return to normal. I'm seeing tatty hacks going for the sort of money I won't even pay for decent bikes on the secondhand market.
We also need to be vigilant ATM, even with low-value bikes.. Someone I know chased off some scumbag resembling Catweazle who was interfering with the lock on his beater the other day. It's only an old hi-tensile road frame with cottered steel 5-speed mechanicals, FFS - but even hack bikes will currently sell and the street price of illegal narcotics is high ATM.

The sensible course of action, for anyone who hasn't already got a bike, would be to sit out all this virus nonsense and wait until the supply situation improves and prices return to normal. I'm seeing tatty hacks going for the sort of money I won't even pay for decent bikes on the secondhand market.
We also need to be vigilant ATM, even with low-value bikes.. Someone I know chased off some scumbag resembling Catweazle who was interfering with the lock on his beater the other day. It's only an old hi-tensile road frame with cottered steel 5-speed mechanicals, FFS - but even hack bikes will currently sell and the street price of illegal narcotics is high ATM.

I know you are an expert on old bikes and their going rates skipdiver but can't help wondering how you know about the latter commodity.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Looking on the Planet X website today their cheapest road bikes start at £1299. They used to have machines from five hundred quid up, just shows what this has done to prices.
There could be several reasons for this unless you are saying the exact same bike(s) have increased from £500 to £1299? For example:
  • Stock of cheaper bikes has sold out
  • Manufacturing has stopped/slowed
  • Planet X has made a business decision to no longer sell low cost bikes
A retailer not offering a particular product isn't an indicator that prices have increased.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I know you are an expert on old bikes and their going rates skipdiver but can't help wondering how you know about the latter commodity.

I wasn't exactly born yesterday and I do know people who take that shoot, even though there's more impurities than the stuff they actually think they are taking. One of the (very few) positives of the lockdown is there's far less obvious dealing on the street and the lack of travel means less gear is getting brought in. No-one wants to get stopped by the old bill with anything in their car either, so it's frustrating the whole process - for now.

Top Bottom