What do we think will happen to the bike market post lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think I know anyone who is obsessed with cars as a status symbol :wacko:
Either by luck or good choices, you are blessed to not suffer these people!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Leasing and PCP have allowed immature idiots to drive cars that should only be driven on race circuits. The consequences are obvious to anybody who has seen an overpowered car buried in a wall or worse, lost a friend or family member to a reckless driver.

Drago

Legendary Member
Prices of new bikes will rise. Demand is up, yet the factories have by and large been closed. Increased demand + reduced supply = elevated prices. Indeed, this phenomenon looks set to seriously spank new car prices as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
Where do you live? On a Hebridean island?
South London. It’s just not important to the people I know and at work. Those who do own a car choose based on practicality or budget. I have one friend who leases her car as she doesn’t have the cash to buy outright, her husband does too via his business.

I used to be a bit of a petrol head but it was never about the marque and perceived status. I have a decent car bought on the basis of the car not its brand.

Clearly there are nobber boy and girl racers, dicks on sports bikes, thug types in pick ups and vans, Mr diddy penis in his S5 or M3 or whatever.
I may encounter these people but as I said, I don’t know (or work) with these people.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Leasing is cheaper than PCP, and can be cheaper than straight finance. Unlike PCP or finance, all the maintenance is the problem of the leasing firm, so it can be quite cost effective compared to other methods.

PCP is frightening. You're paying to service a car you don't even own!

Globalti

Legendary Member
When Mrs Gti inherited some money she decided to treat herself to a car and went out looking for ex-demonstrators at affordable prices. In one local garage the young sales guy, whose name was Adil, simply refused to accept that she wanted to pay cash. He was so keen to earn the commission from selling her PCP that it became embarrassing and we left. Adil is now known in our family as "No deal".

I think PCP will eventually become the new mis-selling scandal.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Don't know anyone who's ever bought a car on PCP either
Driving a car on PCP could be ... interesting.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If you drive the monthly payment down hard enough you can get a car on PCP which works out much cheaper per month with residual values than buying it with an HP loan, when you factor in depreciation and mileage.

It all comes down to the total residual cost over 3/4/5 years of running and selling/ returning it. All cars depreciate unless you can service and repair it yourself to maintain it in showroom condition... in which case you future proof your investment in saved labour charges.

Gunk

Guru
Leasing is cheaper than PCP, and can be cheaper than straight finance. Unlike PCP or finance, all the maintenance is the problem of the leasing firm, so it can be quite cost effective compared to other methods.

PCP is frightening. You're paying to service a car you don't even own!

My experience of providing company cars is that PCP is actually cheaper monthly but you couldn't claim any of the VAT back (that may have changed now) so we always leased cars, usually 3x36 so 3 months down and a three year lease.

Maintenance is not automatically included with a lease, in fact most leases don't include maintenance.

I have never done a personal lease, but I can understand why people do it, all you're paying for is the depreciation and you get on a cycle of having a brand new car every three years, so maintenance is minimal and costs are fixed.

Personally I prefer to run slightly older cars and own them outright, but it's probably not a particularly economical way of doing it.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Driving a car on PCP could be ... interesting.
I once watched a US police video about the same, this was when I was a prison officer/drug liaison officer at a conference, it was very scary, the officers put 10 rounds in the guy and he still kept coming!!!

Any way back slightly on track, a young lady i worked with last year couldnt afford the deposit to buy a house... well before the outbreak, her and her boyfriend rented, however they both had brand new cars £25 k plus each, they both paid at least £300 a month on finance, I wonder how they are managing at the moment?

Gunk

Guru
When Mrs Gti inherited some money she decided to treat herself to a car and went out looking for ex-demonstrators at affordable prices. In one local garage the young sales guy, whose name was Adil, simply refused to accept that she wanted to pay cash. He was so keen to earn the commission from selling her PCP that it became embarrassing and we left. Adil is now known in our family as "No deal".

I think PCP will eventually become the new mis-selling scandal.

This is quite common, back in 2005 I bought Mrs Gunk a new Golf GTi, the only way I could get a chunk off the list price was to take the VW finance and then after I took delivery pay the lot off, bloody madness!

Top Bottom