What do we think will happen to the bike market post lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
There's the usual lads in black/graphite alloy Corsas and old Honda Civic-Rs with no baffles in their exhaust too- they're the ones who meet up in the evenings to drink and fool around.

That is all we see, the newer more expensive cars tend to be the one's sticking to the rules.

screenman

Legendary Member
Unfortunately nothing will change and by the Autumn everybody will be back in their cars sitting in traffic jams.

There are several simple reasons for the surge in cycling: the fantastic weather, the quieter roads and the low cost of a bike while people are not spending money on fuel, eating out or trips.

I'd be willing to bet that 95% of bike trips are less than three miles because people are just pootling around their district. Once we return to work, don't expect those people to ride 10, 20, 30 miles or more to the office.

Most of the bikes will end up rusting in sheds while their owner polishes the new w***panzer on the drive. Never underestimate people's quest for status; the car on the drive is the first symbol of status by which people judge their success in life.

Man you do have a hatred of motorist inside you or is it just for those with a nice car, if I was an Audi owner and come in here as a new cyclist you would alienate me in an instant.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd be willing to bet that 95% of bike trips are less than three miles because people are just pootling around their district.
My recent experiences seem to back that up, my daughter can do up to about 8 miles total so our trips are no more than 3-4 miles from home. The first two thirds of a mile on the local greenway are a bit of a nightmare with wobbly bikes everywhere and then when you get beyond that first mile it's empty.

screenman

Legendary Member
My recent experiences seem to back that up, my daughter can do up to about 8 miles total so our trips are no more than 3-4 miles from home. The first two thirds of a mile on the local greenway are a bit of a nightmare with wobbly bikes everywhere and then when you get beyond that first mile it's empty.

Did we not all start off as wobbly cyclist. If I see a new cyclist which is seldom I always stop and have a chat, I doubt many on here do.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Man you do have a hatred of motorist inside you or is it just for those with a nice car, if I was an Audi owner and come in here as a new cyclist you would alienate me in an instant.

I enjoy driving and I have a nice practical Passat estate with DSG, which is a pleasure to drive. As a teenager I venerated BMW cars and bikes but in recent years I think the motor industry has gone too far in linking cars with machismo and selling ridiculously overpowered cars to people who just want a status symbol on the drive. Most people never get to use their car to its full capacity and most have no clue how fast and powerful it really is.

My views are strongly coloured by having had a colleague who was by his own admission deeply materialistic and very upset that the standard executive car was an A4 or a Passat, both great cars. He once said to me: "The people I spend my weekends with (at Abersoch) are really nice; they all drive BMWs, Mercedes and Audis!" and: "I won't be satisfied until I've got a Beemer on my drive!"

He went to see our boss about it and the boss told him it was the standard car or the door, so he walked out of an excellent job with a great company, got his Beemer but is now in trouble because his employer has been bought by a bigger competitor and is about to disappear.

Living on the edge of a Lancashire mill town we see and hear a lot of German sports saloons being raced around by people who crave status and the bigger, noisier and more outrageously powerful, the better.

BigMeatball

A bike is for life, not just for lockdown.

I've seen all the kennels and dog clubs advertising the same message about dogs in order to try and discourage all these people bored out their mind who all of a sudden buy a puppy :laugh:

Regarding the bike market, I think a lot of people are buying bikes now, just to stop using them when the lockdown is over, so I would expect an absolutely great second hand market popping up 6-12 months after life goes back to normal

I didn't read globalti's comment that way at all.
It is true that too many folk see a car as a status thing, wasting loads of money in the process and helping to screw the planet.
Italy is a particularly sad case of car fixation.
I have experience of it.

I used to be an audi driver :smile: writing it off in rather odd circumstances directly lead to me taking up adult cycling. And never looked back.

screenman

Legendary Member
I predict that you will all be wrong about a great used bike market in the near future, I doubt it will be different than any other time.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I won't be satisfied until I've got a Beemer on my drive!"

That attitude definitely exists doesn't it.
I worked with one former RAF pilot who said to me "you haven't succeeded in life until you have had the three pointed star of Stuttgart on your driveway at least once". He actually said that with a straight face, and yes, he was an insufferable old prick. He would also refer to speeding (only his own speeding) as "a spirited drive", clearly it was a better class of speeding than those "oiks in their cheap Japanese cars" as he put it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That attitude definitely exists doesn't it.
I worked with one former RAF pilot who said to me "you haven't succeeded in life until you have had the three pointed star of Stuttgart on your driveway at least once". He actually said that with a straight face, and yes, he was an insufferable old prick. He would also refer to speeding (only his own speeding) as "a spirited drive", clearly it was a better class of speeding than those "oiks in their cheap Japanese cars" as he put it.
We're not all immune to that kind of thinking.

Over a decade ago I bought a Merc A class. The reason for this was that, after much research I found it to be particularly accessible - it's relatively high - so I could give my increasingly crotchety parents a lift, and I got one for a decent price. Now despite the fact that I'd got it for mainly practical reasons I do remember pulling on to my drive and opening the door and seeing the shiny Mercedes footplate thingy and thinking "Crikey, I own a Merc. Aren't I Mr Swanky?"

The reason for buying the car has gone - my dad has died and my mother is now wheelchair bound but I still have the damn rust bucket. The radio and aircon don't work any more. It's a diesel. It doesn't feel terribly swanky.

jay clock

Massive member
in answer to the OP

a) massive unemployment meaning far more people having to use bikes (£20 BSO with no brakes) as a basic means of getting around
b) millions of semi unemployed/early retired having more time on their hands to pootle around doing leisure cycling (a bit like we have now in lockdown
c) Massive crash in new bike sales. We mostly (on here) have enough bikes and suddenly will discover that our heap of N+1s are actually enough, particularly when our jobs go/incomes plummet
d) modest increase in bike repair services
e) 30% or more closure of LBS
f) increase in bike commuting where people avoid bus/train (cars too for same reason)

Top Bottom