What do we think will happen to the bike market post lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was the current daily price i was asking about skipdiver but i suppose you kind of answered _ assuming that supplies to the street are down.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There could be several reasons for this unless you are saying the exact same bike(s) have increased from £500 to £1299? For example:
  • Stock of cheaper bikes has sold out
  • Manufacturing has stopped/slowed
  • Planet X has made a business decision to no longer sell low cost bikes
A retailer not offering a particular product isn't an indicator that prices have increased.

Or, in the case of a couple of their models I've been keeping an eye on, they've suddenly whacked the price up by £200 overnight!

rivers

How far can I go?
There are still bargains to be had. After a few issues, I've just ordered an ultegra equipped cannondale slice TT for £1400 from TriUK. It's new old stock, and 6800 ultegra, but still a good deal

Daninplymouth

What do we think will happen with the 2021 ranges, as I have seen a few posts on here from people saying there lbs has little to no stock.
I’m looking to buy a synapse but was going to wait for 2 months as the new range should start being released and the 2020 bike will lose a few hundred £££. All the talk of no supply has me concerned and don’t know whether I should just order it up now at full retail, the carbon 105 is £2200 so I’d have thought bikes over the £1000 mark should avoid most of the people just buying up something to use

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
What do we think will happen with the 2021 ranges, as I have seen a few posts on here from people saying there lbs has little to no stock.
I’m looking to buy a synapse but was going to wait for 2 months as the new range should start being released and the 2020 bike will lose a few hundred £££. All the talk of no supply has me concerned and don’t know whether I should just order it up now at full retail, the carbon 105 is £2200 so I’d have thought bikes over the £1000 mark should adobos most of the people just buying up something to use
Some posts have said that the 2021 models might be delayed, in very short supply or non existent.
all mass produced bikes will depreciate to some degree so if you want a bike this year, I’d buy now and deal with any price drops that may or may not occur. If the 2020s are sold out if and when the 2021 arrive, they won’t be reduced! This year will not be like previous years for sure.
You can always ask your LBS if they can do anything on the price, all they can say is no

Last edited:
Who still thinks there will be post-lockdown? I for one welcome a smaller economy with less wasteful motoring. The longer it lasts, the more likely we are to realise what fools we have been to organise our entire lives around an unsustainable growth dependent consumer economy that's also trashing the planet. However, I do feel for those whose livelihoods have vapourised seemingly overnight, the worry they must be going through.

As for the bicycle market, continued supply chain disruption will be a long term thing, unless every nation involved in those chains can crack the track, test, trace thing. There's never been a better time to relocalise essential industries like bicycle manufacturing, food, energy etc. If we don't, we'll have bigger things to worry about thaen bike shortages soon enough.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There's never been a better time to relocalise essential industries like bicycle manufacturing, food, energy etc. If we don't, we'll have bigger things to worry about thaen bike shortages soon enough.
I agree, but if we start tomorrow that will be a very long term thing over the course of decades rather than years. It does show that globalisation has it's major drawbacks. In the event of an international crisis disrupting or stopping imports we have, for the sake of cheaper goods made by impoverished slaves in countries with horrible working and living conditions, lost our ability to control the supply of essentials.

Top Bottom