What do we think will happen to the bike market post lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
If you want a solid example of that, look at the relationship between property prices and interest rates and the availability of credit. Pundits keep coming out with "demand" as the explanation for the disconnection between property prices and wages, but it's total nonsense. The real reason is money is artificially cheap to borrow, and idiotic government schemes like Help to Buy just increase the availability of finance, which leads to vendors and developers jacking up prices, because the interest element of the repayment is relatively small by historical standards. When the majority of the population become credit junkies, the prices of goods get determined not by their real worth, but how much people can afford to pay per month for them.
There's going to be a rude awakening coming for many individuals and the businesses that sell goods to them on finance. Doesn't bother me one bit; I've opted out of the credit merry go round.
No credit for me either but, I do appreciate that I am more fortunate than some, and for others it is 'to a certain extent' unavoidable to not have any credit at all (Single parent unable to work, paying off remainder of Student loans, needing a reliable car for long commute to work etc..) but, it is just being able to recognise what you 'need' from what you 'want'.. Please don't take my comments as being some sort of self righteous lecture as that is not my way, they are simply my own views/opinions being aired.. As for the businesses that sell the credit losing out. I doubt that, as there will be several different methods for piling on even more misery to those people already feeling pretty low as it is (repossession, court action, credit blacklisting..) and, they won't be losing any sleep over it I'm sure.

Gunk

Guru
Agreed.. I had it drummed into me by my parents that if you can't afford it then you don't have it. That advice has stayed with me for 40+ years and fortunately my wife is of the same belief. We have never had a high combined income but, to coin another old phrase from our parents 'we cut our cloth accordingly' and have still managed to bring up two teenage children and give them a holiday every year without getting into debt. I'm not fishing for a medal here, as I know that many people have done the same, but I'm just making a point.. I just can't believe that people are shallow enough to believe that their material things will impress anybody other than fellow shallow people. The media even makes it sound cool and an achievement to have a 'good' credit score. Why not have no credit score by paying for everything in the first place! The local Audi dealer that I regularly cycle past has a car advertised at 'from' £600 pcm. What sort of a muppet (other than a tax dodging businessman) would pay that?

15 years ago when I had a well paid job I was rocking around in £40,000 company cars, these days it’s just not a priority, but I understand why people like a fancy car, it’s a very nice experience.

JPBoothy

Veteran
My point was, there are plenty of people earning enough to afford £600 a month, regardless of what other bills come in.
Yes, I'm sure there are and they are sensible enough to know what they are getting into but, it's the others that I worry about who are perhaps too young and inexperienced to plan ahead for when times aren't going to be so good (such as now).

JPBoothy

Veteran
15 years ago when I had a well paid job I was rocking around in £40,000 company cars, these days it’s just not a priority, but I understand why people like a fancy car, it’s a very nice experience.
Oh yes, I do like those nice things too but, I just can't justify them these days.. Don't get me wrong, I was a 'Hot-Hatch' youth in the 80's myself :whistle:

dodgy

My favourite coat is my Barbour Border wax jacket I've had it 34 years! Her indoors hates it for some reason 😀 I on the other hand love it, most years I rewax it but it's due a trip back to South Shields for some repairs.
I can't think of any item of clothing made in some cheap labour sweatshop that would last as long. I'm extremely proud that i invested in such a quality British product all those years ago, it was classed as an old mans jacket when I bought it 😀
I'll send it back for a rewax and a reline and new cuff linings and it should last another 30 years!!

Trigger's broom.

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
The thing that really annoys me about car PCPs is the fact that a lot of people are being persuaded to hand over perfectly good cars on a scrappage deal to get onto a PCP that gets them into a car they won't own, as due to the monthly payment they won't be able to save for the final purchase charge, or towards another car.

So, when the car has to go back they'll almost certainly sign up for a new deal.

It's genius marketing that's made getting rid of a useable possession while paying for something you'll never own seem like a good thing.

It's also environmentally and financially insane, and is making a few people rich at the expense of a lot of people.

An additional benefit for the motor industry is that the scrappage schemes are causing a drop in the number of second hand cars at the lower end of the market, pushing up prices, which pushes more people towards a PCP.

Rant over - back to bikes. I suspect we'll see a lot of second hand bikes for sale in a few months. I've seen motor traffic steadily increasing over the last two weeks, and fewer people out on bikes. The poorer weather recently definitely has played a part, but I'm sure for a lot of people the novelty value has worn off.

Hopefully though quite a few people will have realised that a bike is a useful and enjoyable thing to own.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
personally I am in favour of everybody in the West deliberately hitting China as hard as possible as payback for spreading their virus around by not purchasing their manufactured output.

I was going to respond, but what's the point honestly. Particularly when preceded by

we've given the EU busybodies the boot,

Obviously, only Brits do things right.

Something so well demonstrated by managing to get amongst the very worst outbreaks in the world.

screenman

Legendary Member
The thing that really annoys me about car PCPs is the fact that a lot of people are being persuaded to hand over perfectly good cars on a scrappage deal to get onto a PCP that gets them into a car they won't own, as due to the monthly payment they won't be able to save for the final purchase charge, or towards another car.

So, when the car has to go back they'll almost certainly sign up for a new deal.

It's genius marketing that's made getting rid of a useable possession while paying for something you'll never own seem like a good thing.

It's also environmentally and financially insane, and is making a few people rich at the expense of a lot of people.

An additional benefit for the motor industry is that the scrappage schemes are causing a drop in the number of second hand cars at the lower end of the market, pushing up prices, which pushes more people towards a PCP.

Rant over - back to bikes. I suspect we'll see a lot of second hand bikes for sale in a few months. I've seen motor traffic steadily increasing over the last two weeks, and fewer people out on bikes. The poorer weather recently definitely has played a part, but I'm sure for a lot of people the novelty value has worn off.

Hopefully though quite a few people will have realised that a bike is a useful and enjoyable thing to own.

You forgot all this creates a lot of jobs.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
That's if they have the money to run a car many more are going to find they need to make savings.
Cycling was always important to me: more so in 1997 when I gave up the car. It's easy to adjust to commuting and shopping (and holidays) on 2 wheels. The bike becomes a way of life and there are many benefits. 23 years without running a car has been, for me, a fantastic decision.

screenman

Legendary Member
Cycling was always important to me: more so in 1997 when I gave up the car. It's easy to adjust to commuting and shopping (and holidays) on 2 wheels. The bike becomes a way of life and there are many benefits. 23 years without running a car has been, for me, a fantastic decision.

Doe anyone else in your household have one? Do you have a bus service, do your kids do activities miles away from where you live.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Doe anyone else in your household have one? Do you have a bus service, do your kids do activities miles away from where you live.
I acknowledge it's not feasible for everyone, particularly if people enjoy living in remote communities, or simply like their cars.
We're big fans of Dutch and Danish town planning, and of their bike cultures (from tots to great grandparents). What we've witnessed is that an environment can be created for citizens, in which the car is simply not necessary. Chris Boardman has made a great short film about Utrecht:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq28fU2AuMU

We don't run a car at all, and that means where we choose to live, work, activities & amenties are all considered within bike distances. It didn't feel difficult, or at all, a limitation. We also thought about local public transport options (there are bus & train services) before we moved here.
In very rare occasions, it's easy to call a taxi or hire a car if needed....
Aside from the devastation of coronavirus and it's future impact on cycling, it will be interesting to see how much Andy Burnham and Chris Boardman will be able to effect real change in Manchester, and then, if that will influence further positive opportunities for citizens throughout the UK. In the Netherlands and Denmark, the bike infrastructure was comprehensive to the point that it extended through to village level - not just cities and towns. I don't think that's impossible for us too.
One thing for certain, once you've cycled in Denmark and the Netherlands, you'll never feel the same about what we have (or put up with) here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

That's a great video.

Sadly, the government get a lovely cut from the motorist by controlling them like sheep towards what cars to keeping buying, then penalising them a few years later and forcing them into other style of cars. Add on the fuel costs, cameras, etc and there's a lot of rich people profiting beautifully from the motorist.

I personally think that quieter roads show more people happier to cycle but, for it to continue, there needs to be change in general motorists attitude to cyclists and perhaps some infrastructure tweaks/changes before people on a wider scale feel happy/safe/confident to cycle.

tom73

Guru
Because of the current situation the government a few weeks ago made it really simple to bring in traffic control orders.
Some LA acted within hours many others are bringing in stuff in too.
Cycling UK is running a campaign to get more LA to use them.
I contacted mine they basically came out with all the normal stuff blaming everyone else expect themselves.
In my reply ask straight questions to a few points I received no reply so I guess they have no plains to do anything.
Think it's more down to closed minds than not having any money.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Because of the current situation the government a few weeks ago made it really simple to bring in traffic control orders.
Some LA acted within hours many others are bringing in stuff in too.
Cycling UK is running a campaign to get more LA to use them.
I contacted mine they basically came out with all the normal stuff blaming everyone else expect themselves.
In my reply ask straight questions to a few points I received no reply so I guess they have no plains to do anything.
Think it's more down to closed minds than not having any money.

Remember the majority of the public are motorists, not cyclists, and any TRO that restricts motor vehicles is going to piss people off and lead to complaints to the local councillors/MP. Since those councillors and MP's want to get re-elected, they are not going to antagonise the local residents if a high proportion of them are drivers.

Since those councillors and MP's want to get re-elected, they are not going to antagonise the local residents if a high proportion of them are drivers.
And yet some MPs/councillors DO choose the right thing, and risk antagonising selfish car-obsessives. So I choose to be optimistic that some will continue to do so - perhaps some drivers will have seen the light during these golden traffic-reduced days, and will come to thank the forward-thinking elected officials. It would cost you nothing to think the same :smile:

Top Bottom