What do we think will happen to the bike market post lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
+1 Its the only way in my book.

I find it hilarious that stuff like appliances, beds, sofas, TV's, phones are all financed and prices are only jacked right up because so many silly people buy such stuff on finance.
Agreed.. I had it drummed into me by my parents that if you can't afford it then you don't have it. That advice has stayed with me for 40+ years and fortunately my wife is of the same belief. We have never had a high combined income but, to coin another old phrase from our parents 'we cut our cloth accordingly' and have still managed to bring up two teenage children and give them a holiday every year without getting into debt. I'm not fishing for a medal here, as I know that many people have done the same, but I'm just making a point.. I just can't believe that people are shallow enough to believe that their material things will impress anybody other than fellow shallow people. The media even makes it sound cool and an achievement to have a 'good' credit score. Why not have no credit score by paying for everything in the first place! The local Audi dealer that I regularly cycle past has a car advertised at 'from' £600 pcm. What sort of a muppet (other than a tax dodging businessman) would pay that?

screenman

Legendary Member
Agreed.. I had it drummed into me by my parents that if you can't afford it then you don't have it. That advice has stayed with me for 40+ years and fortunately my wife is of the same belief. We have never had a high combined income but, to coin another old phrase from our parents 'we cut our cloth accordingly' and have still managed to bring up two teenage children and give them a holiday every year without getting into debt. I'm not fishing for a medal here, as I know that many people have done the same, but I'm just making a point.. I just can't believe that people are shallow enough to believe that their material things will impress anybody other than fellow shallow people. The media even makes it sound cool and an achievement to have a 'good' credit score. Why not have no credit score by paying for everything in the first place! The local Audi dealer that I regularly cycle past has a car advertised at 'from' £600 pcm. What sort of a muppet (other than a tax dodging businessman) would pay that?

Plenty of people can easily afford that amount, you make your choices and they make theirs. As for tax dodging business person, how does that work?

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Well I went to Audi last summer looking to potentially buy a used approved Audi A8 4.2 TDI (cash). On the next desk was a couple trying to get an Audi A3 down a bit from something like £384 p/mnth to around £330 .... I just had to chuckle at how far people seem to stretch themselves for such ordinary tat. Whilst I can understand company car users/allowances to use such schemes, I cannot understand why private buyers do it.

Funny thing is, we get so many people in new cars (basic stuff to Range Rovers/Porsche's etc) all begging for 2nd hand tyres, unable to afford a new one and in some cases choosing to driveway on their existing unsafe tyre(s) :rolleyes:.

Serious car nuts or those of older cars or, new stuff that's owned outright, we see people insisting on medium-premium quality tyres, never batting an eye at costs.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I went to Audi last summer looking to potentially buy a used approved Audi A8 4.2 TDI (cash). On the next desk was a couple trying to get an Audi A3 down a bit from something like £384 p/mnth to around £330 .... I just had to chuckle at how far people seem to stretch themselves for such ordinary tat. Whilst I can understand company car users/allowances to use such schemes, I cannot understand why private buyers do it.

Funny thing is, we get so many people in new cars (basic stuff to Range Rovers/Porsche's etc) all begging for 2nd hand tyres, unable to afford a new one and in some cases choosing to driveway on their existing unsafe tyre(s) :rolleyes:.

Serious car nuts or those of older cars or, new stuff that's owned outright, we see people insisting on medium-premium quality tyres, never batting an eye at costs.
How do you know that they weren’t buying it out of a work car allowance?

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

How do you know that they weren’t buying it out of a work car allowance?

I heard the whole conversation where they tore down all their outgoings/income and even the dealer asked if they have a company allowance, to which they said no they were normal private buyers. The the salesman kept me at the desk going away and coming back repeatedly with finance deals he felt obliged to show me either way.

Brooks

I don't have a crystal ball but I'm optimistic about people who have recently discovered cycling during "lockdown". Plenty of them will continue.
The longer this lockdown goes on the bigger the chance of people getting that lightbulb moment about cycling. People on 80% wages might well start to cut back on things and car usage could well be first. Once they realise you can cycle 5 miles in 30 minutes and it don't cost a bean may well get them thinking who knows.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Plenty of people can easily afford that amount, you make your choices and they make theirs. As for tax dodging business person, how does that work?
Can they afford it though? Making a payment out of your wage every month does not mean that you can necessarily afford the item, only that you 'want' it. People often get themselves into debt by confusing those two things, especially once they realise 'further down the line' that the more essential items (Food/Gas/Electric/Water etc..) are having to be sacrificed for the great big new shiny thing on the drive that no longer impresses the neighbours anyway!

Your right though, you make your own choices. Unfortunately, some people are easily led and can be guided down the wrong path by a person keen to notch-up another sale with no regard for the trouble that they have just 'guided' those poor innocent people into.

As for my rash comment about the 'Tax dodging business person' then I apologise. Although, I'm sure that to the Company itself there must be some tax 'benefit' in it somewhere (not many are just genuinely nice) but, I accept that it is not one that is likely to be felt by the individual business person :surrender:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The longer this lockdown goes on the bigger the chance of people getting that lightbulb moment about cycling. People on 80% wages might well start to cut back on things and car usage could well be first. Once they realise you can cycle 5 miles in 30 minutes and it don't cost a bean may well get them thinking who knows.
They might also realise that riding a bike in London is way faster than driving. Much more fun too. FFS, even I realised!

Edit: Sorry, you made the speed point. Apologies.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Can they afford it though? Making a payment out of your wage every month does not mean that you can necessarily afford the item, only that you 'want' it. People often get themselves into debt by confusing those two things, especially once they realise 'further down the line' that the more essential items (Food/Gas/Electric/Water etc..) are having to be sacrificed for the great big new shiny thing on the drive that no longer impresses the neighbours anyway!

Your right though, you make your own choices. Unfortunately, some people are easily led and can be guided down the wrong path by a person keen to notch-up another sale with no regard for the trouble that they have just 'guided' those poor innocent people into.

As for my rash comment about the 'Tax dodging business person' then I apologise. Although, I'm sure that to the Company itself there must be some tax 'benefit' in it somewhere (not many are just genuinely nice) but, I accept that it is not one that is likely to be felt by the individual business person :surrender:

My point was, there are plenty of people earning enough to afford £600 a month, regardless of what other bills come in.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

It is also quite possible that they can afford it and chose to lease and invest the money elsewhere rather than own a heavily depreciating asset. For a lot of people, including myself, that is actually the wise thing to do.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Business costs could be partial contributors but, I am in no doubt, that prices are further hiked to encourage a trend towards credit.

If you want a solid example of that, look at the relationship between property prices and interest rates and the availability of credit. Pundits keep coming out with "demand" as the explanation for the disconnection between property prices and wages, but it's total nonsense. The real reason is money is artificially cheap to borrow, and idiotic government schemes like Help to Buy just increase the availability of finance, which leads to vendors and developers jacking up prices, because the interest element of the repayment is relatively small by historical standards. When the majority of the population become credit junkies, the prices of goods get determined not by their real worth, but how much people can afford to pay per month for them.
There's going to be a rude awakening coming for many individuals and the businesses that sell goods to them on finance. Doesn't bother me one bit; I've opted out of the credit merry go round.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Do not hold your breath on that one, although I feel it is a good idea, we already pay a higher rate than the EU minimum and I feel we will be paying even more quite soon.
I quite agree that the tax rates on across the board will have to rise to pay for the economic situation we will be in. And for many years.

Top Bottom