What do we think will happen to the bike market post lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Lots of the newly bought bikes will see some summer use but be garage/ shed queens by autumn, though I can't see the used market being flooded for a while yet... maybe in a year, two years when the realisation dawns that there's a bike in there that's gathering dust? I'd expect used prices in 2 years to be much lower than they are right this minute but it won't be immediate I shouldn't have thought.

That's what happen's to a lot of bike's bought on the cycle to work scheme

sheddy

Legendary Member
A bike is for life, not just for lockdown.

MarkF

Guru
It's a virus blip, I am looking for a cheap canal bike and there are bikes for sale locally that are essentially shagged junk, for £100+. Decades old supermarket MTB's are being wheeled out and listed on Gumtree. I saw a Raleigh summat in "Good condition" yesterday that looked like it was FROM the canal.

The other thing I am buying right now are jigsaws, for my mum. The same thing is happening, jigsaws I used to buy for her for sub £5 are now £15-20 (Damaged box, only 2 pieces missing). Crappy old bikes and jigsaws are where the £££'s are at the mo'.:okay:

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
No wonder so many will pack it all in with some of the slagging off that's going off.
Until it's over we won't really know how many will carry on.
Any up lift is welcome as for Glut of BSO flooding the market.
We all mock them and have a go at them but some really look to have a hard core issue with them.
Many just don't know how to buy anything else or don't have a shop to go to. Some even can't afford anything better if a BSO is what it takes to get some on a bike and stay on one who never would then good luck to them. Some may well upgrade at some point. We need all the help we can get the up take is now making more LA take note together with social distancing which is here stay for some time. Has seen more safe placers being put in place any you never know some of it may well stay.

vickster

Legendary Member
Chr1st, what a crazy situation.
"Is this bike primarily for commuting?"
"You mean my morning 1hour loop back to our spare room? Yeah, obvs!"
:laugh:
There are schemes which have always allowed access to home workers (to allow fairness and parity of benefits to those who work away from home, and equal opportunity to exercise for health)...whether folks agree or not with such a policy doesn’t really matter

I think it's crazy that a tax-cut for buying bikes is available ... but only to quite a narrow niche of UK citizens.
(I'm not bitter, as 2nd-hand has always been a better bet for me. Unless the scheme will cover a bespoke frame?? )

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not 100% on topic but related

France govt offers €50 to repair your old bike & get ready for deconfinement. Simply turn up at the bike shop and the shop applies for the cash. Anything over €50 you pay yourself.

View: https://twitter.com/Artfrombikeshed/status/1255767503004893184

Link in French http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/de...-doper-l-usage-du-velo-29-04-2020-8308353.php

Courtesy of Google Translate
Two-thirds of the 30 million bikes owned by the French take dust. To get them out of the cellar or the garage, the government will offer a "repair check" of 50 euros. “It is a boost to the bike during the deconfinement period to encourage us to choose this mode of travel. We want this period to take a step forward in cycling culture, and that the bicycle is the little queen of deconfinement in a way ”, explains the Minister of Ecological Transition, Elisabeth Borne, who carries the plan to facilitate the practice of cycling .

In total, 20 million euros are released by his ministry to cover repairs, temporary parking spaces and training.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
as for Glut of BSO flooding the market.
We all mock them and have a go at them but some really look to have a hard core issue with them.
Many just don't know how to buy anything else or don't have a shop to go to. Some even can't afford anything better if a BSO is what it takes to get some on a bike and stay on one who never would then good luck to them. Some may well upgrade at some point.

I don't have any problem with BSO's, as it's not me that has got to put up with riding one. Actually, I find them a useful source of certain spare parts, so long as you sling the boat anchor suspension frame back in the skip where it belongs. Quite a lot of my mileage is done on bikes that, although not outright BSO's, are definitely at the low budget end of the market - and for what they cost they do the job perfectly adequately and have the benefit of not getting stolen either. A functional bike doesn't have to involve spending large amounts of money.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Whilst I understood from the posts that BSO are referenced as low end/budget bikes, I didn't know what BSO meant, so googled it. :laugh:

I will agree that for many people a BSO is where they start (and where I started many times in my late teens and early 20's). There is a market for them and many reasons why people buy them, such as affordability, it will do, need something unattractive, something to just sling around, a bike is a bike attitude etc with ride/build quality etc coming at the bottom of the list. Most of the people outside a forum will have kittens hearing about bikes costing £500/1k upwards. Its only when one takes a greater interest in cycling that they realise what a mistake a BSO is and a few hundred more could have got something reasonable.

That France govt scheme looks fair considering a lot of stuff will easily get going with a few minor tweaks and lube etc.

Its taken the circumstances of Covid-19 to seriously get me in the saddle, with me just going for a bit of exercising, not realising that my exercise route trounces what my work to commute would be. I hope on the other side, people do start using bicycles more, be it for a bit of leisure or commuting.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
It will continue to rise for a month after lockdown then just as new bike shops are opening, people will go back to using cars and public transport. Then after a year, the bike shops will run out of money and close.

The well established shops will remain open just like they did before the lockdown was even a figment of WHO's imagination.

Top Bottom