What do we want from our bicycles ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
This sums it up perfectly. It's the thrill of the chase followed by the satisfaction of a job tastefully done and the simple pleasure of ownership. By way of example, I'm currently getting unnecessarily excited over the imminent arrival of a Mavic groupset with the great help of @BalkanExpress which will go onto a Vitus 979 to make it 'right'. The bike was a bargain, the groupset not a bad deal, but the finished bike would probably only sell for about what I paid for it, if I chose to sell it. But that's not why I did it - it was for the reasons @booze and cake describes above, the pleasure of owning functional works of art and The Joy of Fettling (hmmm, gives me an idea for a book...)

Then there's the undisputed pleasure of riding the thing at a pace appropriate to both bike and rider! I love to see classic cars being put through their paces with only a nod to mechanical sympathy, and the same applies to bikes.

Then of course there's the question of what to do with the groupset that comes off the Vitus... and so it goes on. :smile:
"The Joy of Fettling" l see what your taste in reading matter is or was :smooch: . We seem to be working along similar lines with the Vitus 979 except that it looks like you are going for period authenticity and l am not, in a tasteful and with luck functional way. To coin a phrase , If you show me yours, l'll show you mine when it is complete !

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I want to throw open the garage door and go “ooohhh which of these beauties will I ride today” ^_^:bicycle:^_^

Must admit i do like doing the same

mikeymustard

Veteran
Oh boy this is beginning to sound like confession time , l would stop right there before you do anything rash^_^
Yep defo a meeting of Bicyclists Anonymous!
I've analysed my "addiction" on many occasions, and I think it has several separate components:

• looks - I'm a sucker for a pretty frame
  • different uses e.g. "winter"/"commuter", strangely I've been employing my "best" Equilibrium for this purpose recently
  • a different feeling - e.g. my Venom feels like a proper ultra stiff (but still steel feel) racing bike, the Raleigh Triathlon is both comfy and agile, and takes hills in its stride (better than me anyway), the CB Majestic is like an armchair but a little restrictive in its gearing. I'm struggling to find a USP for the Equilibrium tbh, but I love its "retroesque" looks
  • the thrill of the chase, everyone loves a bargain!
  • the research
  • the thought that I might find the definitive "right" frame for me
  • love of fettling
  • the thought that lovely bikes I decide not to keep have been saved and a new generation can experience the joy of older machines
Added together it's a heady brew indeed!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have just been doing some tinkering in the garage re attaching the rear mudguard on my old Marin . Once i had finished i had to put all the bikes back to bed first of all the Pollard single speed , then the one modernish concession in my collection the TEC Road bike , then the Aende , then the Hardisty followed by the Shorter and finally the £12 Falcon explorer .

It made me realise i don't think i could easily find a worthy addition that i want to add to my current stable .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have just been doing some tinkering in the garage re attaching the rear mudguard on my old Marin . Once i had finished i had to put all the bikes back to bed first of all the Pollard single speed , then the one modernish concession in my collection the TEC Road bike , then the Aende , then the Hardisty followed by the Shorter and finally the £12 Falcon explorer .

It made me realise i don't think i could easily find a worthy addition that i want to add to my current stable .
Never say never Mr. B.:smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Never say never Mr. B.:smile:

I understand that

netman

Veteran
N+19... I have a problem! Just love owning such beautiful, functional pieces of engineering... Many of these aren't built yet, but I savour planning the builds and gathering the parts. After all, they're not making any of these again are they?!
Screenshot 2019-02-20 at 20.39.33.png

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5543334, member: 9609"]Am I the only person on CC that just has one bike and has zero interest in ever having another - I'm hoping mine will see me out.[/QUOTE]

I'd say you are in a very small minority - but at least the one you do have is an old steel machine.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
[QUOTE 5543334, member: 9609"]Am I the only person on CC that just has one bike and has zero interest in ever having another - I'm hoping mine will see me out.

and here she is the day up in the clear fell
View attachment 453709
Jedburgh 14 Newcastleton 12
(sounds like a rugby score, rare win for Jed)[/QUOTE]

@User9609 as long as you are happy with just 1 bike that is the main thing
Just keep the old Giant multi tasking as an everyday every situation bike

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The great thing about buying bargain secondhand vintage bikes though, is that you can have the choice of multiple styles of Hybrid, MTB, Sports & Roadster all sitting there available to ride, and you get all that for less outlay than you would spend buying just one mid-range modern bike. Vintage stuff is much more attractive as well, most moderns are ugly (with a very few exceptions)

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
[QUOTE 5543334, member: 9609"]Am I the only person on CC that just has one bike and has zero interest in ever having another - I'm hoping mine will see me out.

and here she is the day up in the clear fell
View attachment 453709
Jedburgh 14 Newcastleton 12
(sounds like a rugby score, rare win for Jed)[/QUOTE]
Reiver, if one isn't enough, then ten won't be too many ! That was my mothers advice to me about women (and it proved very true) . I'm sure it applies equally to bikes, count yourself a very fortunate guy :smile:

Top Bottom