What do we want from our bicycles ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Btw some of you are getting your algebra a bit wrong: it's N+1! It's always N+1 cos N= the number of bikes you own!
Ok I'm climbing off my pedant box now :rolleyes:

Rod_Saetan

Veteran
It's much easier to justify if you keep coming up with ever-increasingly niche descriptions for them so there is only really ever one bike in each category, for instance:

Folding bike
Tandem
Single Speed MTB
Modern MTB
Modern road bike
Winter commuter
Summer commuter
Winter touring bike
Summer touring bike
Lock-up bike
Child-carrying bike
Cross bike
Rough Stuff bike
1980s American MTB
1990s American MTB *
1980s UK MTB *
1990s UK MTB *
1970s UK road bike
1980s UK road bike *
1990s UK road bike *
1980s American road bike
1990s American road bike
1980s Italian road bike
1990s Italian road bike

* indicate more than one currently in this category, sub-categories are yet to be defined.

I also find that keeping some unbuilt takes up less room and then means you can bunch them all in together as 'projects', thus never truly admitting the extent of the -problem- collection.

mikeymustard

Veteran
It's much easier to justify if you keep coming up with ever-increasingly niche descriptions for them so there is only really ever one bike in each category, for instance:

Folding bike
Tandem
Single Speed MTB
Modern MTB
Modern road bike
Winter commuter
Summer commuter
Winter touring bike
Summer touring bike
Lock-up bike
Child-carrying bike
Cross bike
Rough Stuff bike
1980s American MTB
1990s American MTB *
1980s UK MTB *
1990s UK MTB *
1970s UK road bike
1980s UK road bike *
1990s UK road bike *
1980s American road bike
1990s American road bike
1980s Italian road bike
1990s Italian road bike

* indicate more than one currently in this category, sub-categories are yet to be defined.

I also find that keeping some unbuilt takes up less room and then means you can bunch them all in together as 'projects', thus never truly admitting the extent of the -problem- collection.
you've missed off "light tourer" and "clubman"

Rod_Saetan

Veteran
Oh, that list was by no means exhaustive, it is merely what I currently have.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Why kitchenware and not a bike wheel? Sexist much?
Simple logic really , no one with all their marbles would chose a garage full of bikes as the location for putting the case for yet another bike.Granted it would be the most likely place to find the odd wheel etc The more sensible place would be the "heart" of the house where the Little Woman feels most at home and relaxed ! Which also is where she keeps the tools of her trade ie. frying pans etc. As for being sexist ...bah humbug Sir :whistle:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Simple logic really , no one with all their marbles would chose a garage full of bikes as the location for putting the case for yet another bike.Granted it would be the most likely place to find the odd wheel etc The more sensible place would be the "heart" of the house where the Little Woman feels most at home and relaxed ! Which also is where she keeps the tools of her trade ie. frying pans etc. As for being sexist ...bah humbug Sir :whistle:

Sure there is a bit of french logic in there some where

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Sure there is a bit of french logic in there some where
Logic is common (or uncommon) in English and French for example “Qui court deux lievres a la fois, n’en prend aucun”and in English it would be something like He whom chases two hares catches none ! Not that its got anything to do with bikes ^_^

Top Bottom