What do you call a person on a bike thats, well not a "cyclist"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richie244

I feer I may be being kind of a snob and disassociate myself from said people.

Let me elaborate. When I say I cycle I go out on my bike abide by the rules and laws of the road and etc etc. weather I am out on a 5km Hamer down, 100km sportive or a commute.

The "person on a bike" I refer to will usually be grown men on some form of rusty mountain bike with under inflated tires. They will almost always be riding with one hand the other engaged in smoking, holding a can of drink or on the phone, and would not be seen dead in a helmet.
They ride on the path at all times unless there is an opportunity to cut across a road by cycling down and around swerving in and out of traffic.

I know some are going to say, at least they are cycling or roads are dangerous and it's not against the law to ride on a path because its technically not a foot path.

It is honestly the association that annoys me much like "all drivers are in considerate to cyclists". The dangerous stupid things I have seen these people on bikes do makes me cringe, only today I saw one swerve off the path to take a corner on the road jumping a red light and almost hit a pram, they some how swerved while on their phone then swore at the lady pushing the pram (who was innocent).

Much like the inconsiderate motorist they give is cyclists a bad name and fuel to the anti cyclists.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wouldn't be seen dead in a helmet either.

A person on a bike that's not a cyclist.

I'd call that a paradox.
Yes, or maybe a koan.

A person on a bike that's not a cyclist.

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Out of nowhere, the mind comes forth.

Or a riddle: Why is a single woman like an arrow? Because she is all aquiver till she gets a beau, and she can't go off without one**.

**yeah, this is a genuine early 20th century riddle that I have in a book, and do not understand, but have remembered verbatim.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Who needs bike bashers with cyclists willing to disown other cyclists? :rolleyes:

I don't condone bad cycling but I'm not responsible for their misdeeds. Blaming someone for the sins of another because of some characteristic... it may be still allowed when it's mode of transport rather than physical ability, but it's about as sick.

I think you should worry about something else as you don't have a snowball in hell's chance of changing the behaviour you have described.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I feer I may be being kind of a snob and disassociate myself from said people.

Let me elaborate. When I say I cycle I go out on my bike abide by the rules and laws of the road and etc etc. weather I am out on a 5km Hamer down, 100km sportive or a commute.

The "person on a bike" I refer to will usually be grown men on some form of rusty mountain bike with under inflated tires. They will almost always be riding with one hand the other engaged in smoking, holding a can of drink or on the phone, and would not be seen dead in a helmet.
They ride on the path at all times unless there is an opportunity to cut across a road by cycling down and around swerving in and out of traffic.

I know some are going to say, at least they are cycling or roads are dangerous and it's not against the law to ride on a path because its technically not a foot path.

It is honestly the association that annoys me much like "all drivers are in considerate to cyclists". The dangerous stupid things I have seen these people on bikes do makes me cringe, only today I saw one swerve off the path to take a corner on the road jumping a red light and almost hit a pram, they some how swerved while on their phone then swore at the lady pushing the pram (who was innocent).

Much like the inconsiderate motorist they give is cyclists a bad name and fuel to the anti cyclists.
You know when people slag off cyclists it's not those type of cyclists they're on about? It's "cyclist" cyclists.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

You know when people slag off cyclists it's not those type of cyclists they're on about? It's "cyclist" cyclists.

Is it though? Perhaps it was the morons day out on bikes together their cider today but the town just seemed full of ideot being idiots they just happened to be on bikes I guess.

Im not worried, but when you see someone almost run down a pram and the statement "bloody cyclists" is made I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with them knowing the the majority of "cyclist" I know not acting so dangerously.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

Who needs bike bashers with cyclists willing to disown other cyclists? :rolleyes:

I don't condone bad cycling but I'm not responsible for their misdeeds. Blaming someone for the sins of another because of some characteristic... it may be still allowed when it's mode of transport rather than physical ability, but it's about as sick.

Very confusing Im not blaming someone for the sins of others, quite the opposite in fact being very specific to the sinner hence the descriptive statement prefixed with "usually". I equally would not condone a lycra clad gent, with a full spec TT bike and aero helmet doing 50 down a pedestrian path full of people beside a road.

I guess Stupid will always find a way to be stupid. Just like not all gun owners commit mass shootings or BMW drivers don't use indicators. Oh hang on bad example.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wouldn't be seen dead in a helmet either.
You'd better make sure your survivors can spell cask,then.
Kask-Protone-Road-Helmet-Road-Helmets-Blue-2015-PBLUL-1.jpg

Top Bottom