What do you call a person on a bike thats, well not a "cyclist"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"What do you call a person on a bike thats, well not a "cyclist"?"

... grown men ...
:whistle:
Now then - is it odd that the thread recognises (but has not so far stated) the obvious? :whistle::whistle::whistle::tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
Very confusing Im not blaming someone for the sins of others, quite the opposite in fact being very specific to the sinner hence the descriptive statement prefixed with "usually". I equally would not condone a lycra clad gent, with a full spec TT bike and aero helmet doing 50 down a pedestrian path full of people beside a road..
They were doing 50 down the pavement, fag in one hand, drink in another without hurting themselves or anyone else from what you've said. Mad bike skills those be!

snorri

Legendary Member
I feer I may be being kind of a snob and disassociate myself from said people.
Yes, you do come over as a snob on this occasion:sad:. .
Rather than dissociate, you could communicate with "said people" and try to gain an understanding of their approach to cycling. There's a wider world out there than 100km sportives and 5km hamers,...... whatever they are.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wouldn't call them anything but I may call the OP insecure. Why would he need to associate another cyclists with himself and does he do it with car drivers and pedestrians as well.

There is also the chance that the guy on the rusty old banger uses it for his only form of transport and covers 1000s of miles a year. In which case I would just call him experienced.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

I wouldn't call them anything but I may call the OP insecure. Why would he need to associate another cyclists with himself and does he do it with car drivers and pedestrians as well.

There is also the chance that the guy on the rusty old banger uses it for his only form of transport and covers 1000s of miles a year. In which case I would just call him experienced.

Secure enough to post a contraversial topic clearly.

Like others you miss the point by focusing on one observation, the rust bike. It's the lack of safety and consideration to other users of planet earth that's the issue.
Much like some one who drinks, no issue until you become a problem for others or a dog owner most are responsible but a few don't pick up the mess and let their dog attack others.

Like I said you'll never stop stupid apparently it's a human right.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
"Like I said you'll never stop stupid apparently it's a human right."

Indeed.

The day before yesterday, I rode on a short section of footpath to avoid going all the way round a roundabout, without wearing a plastic hat AND while having a swig.
The footpath has a blind bend on it too.
I'll be in prison next.

If you're on a bike you're a cyclist in the same way that if you're driving a car you're a driver.
Swaggering all over the footpath while pissed up on a bottle of Newcastle Brown with a cig in one hand doesn't stop you being a pedestrian does it?

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Swaggering all over the footpath while pissed up on a bottle of Newcastle Brown with a cig in one hand doesn't stop you being a pedestrian does it?

But it doesn't make you a 'walker' unless you have two poles, a rucksack and a bobbly hat.

I think the point is something around utility cycling and cycling as an interest or hobby.

keithmac

Guru
I feer I may be being kind of a snob and disassociate myself from said people.

Let me elaborate. When I say I cycle I go out on my bike abide by the rules and laws of the road and etc etc. weather I am out on a 5km Hamer down, 100km sportive or a commute.

The "person on a bike" I refer to will usually be grown men on some form of rusty mountain bike with under inflated tires. They will almost always be riding with one hand the other engaged in smoking, holding a can of drink or on the phone, and would not be seen dead in a helmet.
They ride on the path at all times unless there is an opportunity to cut across a road by cycling down and around swerving in and out of traffic.

I know some are going to say, at least they are cycling or roads are dangerous and it's not against the law to ride on a path because its technically not a foot path.

It is honestly the association that annoys me much like "all drivers are in considerate to cyclists". The dangerous stupid things I have seen these people on bikes do makes me cringe, only today I saw one swerve off the path to take a corner on the road jumping a red light and almost hit a pram, they some how swerved while on their phone then swore at the lady pushing the pram (who was innocent).

Much like the inconsiderate motorist they give is cyclists a bad name and fuel to the anti cyclists.

I agree, I've seen a few now mobile phone in hand riding on the path with scant regard for any pedestrians.

Everytime I see a red light jumper it boils my p1ss as well, while I'm motor/cycling or driving.

Flat tyres and no brakes are not a rare site on my commute either.

And you are right some will tar all "cyclists" with the same brush..

Some are truly random and unpredictable, on the path one minute and straight over two lanes of traffic the next without any observation. If they got wiped out by a car there would hell on and no doubt the car driver would be dragged through the coals..

I'll get my coat..

Jody

Stubborn git
They were doing 50 down the pavement, fag in one hand, drink in another without hurting themselves or anyone else from what you've said. Mad bike skills those be!

Reminds me of a youth who I saw yesterday. Dressed head to tow in black Addidas sportswear, man bag that could possibly be brimming with illegal narcotics and on a cheap rusty BSO. Came past us pulling a one handed wheelie and kept the wheelie going for at least 200 yards. According to the OP he is not a cyclist but the lad had got some mad skillz and must have spent many an hour riding.

Top Bottom