What do you call a person on a bike thats, well not a "cyclist"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cyclist-Shaped Object.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some are truly random and unpredictable, on the path one minute and straight over two lanes of traffic the next without any observation. If they got wiped out by a car there would hell on and no doubt the car driver would be dragged through the coals..

I'll get my coat..
Dragged through the coals and then a £200 fine is about the going rate even when to blame, isn't it?

I kind of get where you're coming from. I use my bikes primarily as a mode of transport. I use them to avoid getting ripped off by the costs involved in running a car ( as much as possible). I find the cliquey tribalism associated with ( particular sections ) of 'sporty' 'clubby' type riding / riders, a bit irritating, but as long as they aren't directly affecting me, I just :rolleyes: and get on with what I have to do. I rarely encounter The 'people on a BSO' type riders, referenced above, so I don't really have an opinion on them, to be fair.

jefmcg

Guru
How did we get here? That the people who rely on their bikes for transport are inferior to those who dress up in special clothes, drive off to the country and swan around for a few hours to bag some strava KOM.

Maybe we should call those who use a bicycle as their primary form of transport cyclists and find another word for the superior people who complain about oiks.

May I suggest "dilettante"?

Tin Pot

Guru
"person on a bike"

You've answered your own question.

I think "cyclist" should be relegated to just that subset of political campaigners. Like Islamists.

I too get fcked off with chavs riding on pavements. Probably more than I do people being outraged on the internet but failing to spell their outrage correctly. Complete twads!!

Unfortunately I do know where the OP is coming from and sympathize. Running a red light is your choice. Amber seems to mean speed up to most motorists - not what I was taught on my driving test.

I have a problem with tools riding on the pavement without any due care, people without lights, wearing ludicrous high viz but no lights and that other breed - the cyclists who decide to have a mother's meeting riding 2 abreast at 15MPH on built up roads and corners.

Just cos it's law doesn't make it sensible. The motorway speed limit is 70. If lorries did what they are meant to and stayed in the inside lane and if people didn't hog the middle lane we'd all get there a lot quicker.

In the same way that in built up areas that are littered with traffic lights in my area anyway. If people stuck to the 30 limit traffic would run a lot smoother. But they don't.

In general most people are selfish morons. Deal with it or go full on William Foster!!!

Dayvo

just passin' through
I s'pose I'm a cyclist (although not a serious one) but I like to think of myself more as a free-wheeler.

Reactions: mjr
Whether, hammer and us - free.

I rarely wear a helmet - most of my journeys are local and under 5 miles. I don't ride through red lights per say but sometimes I may go before cars or use the pedestrian crossing when safe to do so.

Often this is because drivers have forced me onto the pavement or don't check their mirrors. And in fact, as a motorist I'd prefer it if a cyclist got a head start on me so that I am not having to be constantly aware of them pulling off at the same time as me.

Awful I know - shoot me!!!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have a problem with [...] that other breed - the cyclists who decide to have a mother's meeting riding 2 abreast at 15MPH on built up roads and corners.

Just cos it's law doesn't make it sensible.
Indeed - what makes it sensible is that most lanes on built-up roads are 3.7m wide so motorists cannot overtake safely without moving into the next lane. Do the maths if you doubt it: a cyclist needs at least 1m width "dynamic envelope" (increases at low speeds), should not be within 0.5m of the kerb, there should be >1.2m overtaking clearance (increases at high speeds) and cars are typically 2.2m wide...

If you go single file, far too many will try to squeeze past. So we ride two abreast to make the group shorter and help make it clear to motorists that they need to wait for a gap in traffic and use the next lane:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGRQgw6PDA

And, frankly, I don't know how to respond to "mother's meeting" other than :rolleyes:

Top Bottom