What do you do if your dog dies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My dog hasn't died, but I found myself waking up this morning wondering what you do in such a situation. I've buried hamsters, buried goldfish and other expired pets, but a dog is a bit bigger. Are you 'allowed' to just bury it in your garden, if you have one? Are 'supposed to' take it to a vet for disposal? Can you compost them? etc etc.
I look forward to some illuminating answers. I think my dog will probably last another 6 yrs or so, so no rush.
:smile:

earlestownflya

i'm not in agreement with your train of thought..enjoy every moment with your beloved pet..but yes you can bury it in the garden,compost it,cremate it..what ever you want.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I think the vet retained our dog when she had to be put to sleep. Certainly, our nanny goat was left at the surgery. I think they charged a fee to dispose of the body. Other domestic pets were indeed buried in the garden. I often wonder what the builders unearthed when the garden was dug up for development years later. We used to bury the odd fox which got too familiar with our chickens and I think some billy kids were euthanized at birth & buried (it is very hard to home a billy goat compared to a nanny).

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
i'm not in agreement with your train of thought..enjoy every moment with your beloved pet..but yes you can bury it in the garden,compost it,cremate it..what ever you want.
Oh yes, I do, don't get me wrong. I enjoy taking her out for long country/beach walks etc... I was just wondering.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
We buried a horse in our garden.
Our dog will be buried there too when she pops her clogs.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I had the vet cremate our great dane and then we spread her ashes in her favourite spot in the garden (under the apple tree).
Our 2 dogs after her, were disposed of by the vet and no ashes requested.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A friend of mine had a very nutty (but nice) border collie. They were together for years but she eventually died. He put her body in a very large rucksack and carried it and a shovel on the route of one of their favourite local walks, finally burying her in a beautiful quiet spot up on the hills. I knew the exact spot from his tearful description of it and when I walked up there a few weeks later I spotted the small cairn he had built there. I found it quite moving.

Peggy-Guggenheim-grave.jpg

Top Bottom