What do you do if your dog dies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedder2212

When i were younger the dogs got buried in granddads garden up by the big tree. The dog we have now though will be taken to a pet crematorium, taken up to our favorite spot near snake pass and ashes scattered.

Fubar

Guru
My dog hasn't died, but I found myself waking up this morning wondering what you do in such a situation. I've buried hamsters, buried goldfish and other expired pets, but a dog is a bit bigger. Are you 'allowed' to just bury it in your garden, if you have one? Are 'supposed to' take it to a vet for disposal? Can you compost them? etc etc.
I look forward to some illuminating answers. I think my dog will probably last another 6 yrs or so, so no rush.
:smile:

Have you asked your dog what his wishes are?? Never a right time to bring these things up mind...

buggi

Bird Saviour
You can take it to the vet and they will arrange a cremation and the ashes to be returned to you (which are easier to then bury) Or you can bury them where you like (probably not the neighbours garden tho as they may complain) Why the hell would you compost your dog? I think you are underestimating how much you love your dog if you think you can stick him in a composter.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was very attached to him. :sad:
you were conjoined twins?

Brandane

Legendary Member
When I was younger we always had dogs in the house. One or two got buried in the garden, the others IIRC got given to new owners as we lived abroad and tended to move around every few years.

What to do when a cat dies? My ex GF's 6 year old daughter had the answer to that one. When their cat died (which had been around long before the daughter was born), ex GF broke the news to her. She thought about it for all of five seconds before her reaction .... "Can we get a dog now?" :laugh:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@Brandane's Ex GF's daughter makes a good point too even if not for the below reasons.

The time to get a new dog / pet can seem callously short after one dies but there is a physical emptiness in the home and on walks or on not going on walks anymore that hits you as hard as the emotional loss of your companion and friend.

The emotional loss rolls on long beyond you filling that physical void with a different (not, never, ever a replacement) hound.

Also as someone committed to taking dogs from rescue rather than breeders, it feels wrong to have an empty bed in a loving home while so many dogs are crying out for that stability and a proper single family relationahip

Globalti

Legendary Member
It'll be a hole in the garden or the field at the back for our cats.

Fact: After a long battle the daughter of the founder of the company that employs me won the right to be buried in Rossendale Pets' Crematorium alongside her dogs.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A few months ago I helped a friend who a few months after moving house found a poorly buried dog in the garden. He was doing some simply gardening when he found the dog buried less than an inch below the surface. It was a thoroughly unpleasant task disposing of the considerably smelly remains. If you are going to bury a big animal in your garden, please make sure you dig a big hole - and ideally don't move house within a year or two.

Top Bottom