What do you feed your dog(s) on and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Another topic totally off cycling - sorry.
I would like to know what you feed your dog on and why.

I have 2 dogs, one is a staff / lurcher cross and the other is an ex street dog and totally a Heinz 57. I would prefer to be feeding them a raw diet based around the Natures Menu frozen packs, but facing redundancy I am having to cut costs dramatically. I recently tried Chubb roll with mixer but the flatulence was pretty extreme, so I have dropped onto a tinned dog food with a mixer, also supplementing with half a dozen cubes of the Natures Menu fruit and vegetables in each bowl and a handful of Butchers dry complete in there as well. They seem to like it so far.

What, in your opinions, is the best to feed your dog on, and how has their food effected them?

I feed mine Tesco Complete dried food.

They seem to like it. Only be the fact that they eat it, rather than them saying "mmmm this is nice"

U

User6179

Purina beta for current dog , she was put on it as a pup and if she eats anything else she is either sick or has the runs so kept her on it , previous dog a Collie and German shepherd cross was fed mostly on Chum and mixer and lived till 16 so wanted current dog on it but the Chum goes right through her so I would try a few different kinds to see what your dogs like.

< SIS gels

Burns. I tried a few other things, including cheap kibbles but most seem to disagree with him. I've never been convinced by the natural food argument, I mean most dogs are about 20000 years away from a natural diet.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just dry food here. Just find it more convenient and my hoover dog seems quite happy on it.
Get most of my pet food from Zooplus. I try to buy a middle of the road price/quality. Would love to feed her on higher quality foods but afraid £60 per bag is too much for my budget. Something like Markhus Muhle is decent for the money.

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Jehovah Witnesses that knock on the door, why? What else could you do with them.
A friend of mine used to have a Great Dane. He got disturbed from the shower by a knock on the door. He wrapped a towel around himself and went to the door where the dog was waiting. He had hold of the dog by the collar and his towel with the other hand (actually I have never asked how he opened the door - but his missus always called him "clever dick"), found it was Jehovas Witness at the door and said to them "in 5 seconds I am letting go of either the dog or this towel or possibly both".
Never have people left so quickly.......

Only kidding, my dogs are too picky....

Only kidding, I don't have any dogs

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The Parsons Terrier, the Greyhound and the JRT are all on Greyhound maintenance food. The pup (8 months on Wednesday) is on James Wellbeloved Puppy & Junior food mixed. He isn't quite old enough for Junior and a bit old for Puppy so we mix it and make Punior food. Another month, he'll be on Junior. He had such a bad start that the JW is doing for him what his first owners didn't. He's had the maintenance food, when he's stolen it from the others and is fine on it.

We supplement their food with rabbits and venison when we get some. Occasionally some offal from the butchers. The Parsons also gets some meat bits in jelly every day as she is 18 now and the kibble in the greyhound food can be difficult for her so we soak it first in hot water. Our vet seems to think that our lot bloom with good health.

Greyhound maintenance would be fine for your Bull Lurcher and ex street dogs tend not to be fussy. Just keep and eye on the protein level.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Harrington kibble for my 2, lurcher x shepherd and lurcher x collie x staffie. Can be a bit whiffy but that's dogs for you..

U

User6179

Would love to feed her on higher quality foods but afraid £60 per bag is too much for my budget

The £60 bag could just have the same stuff in it as the cheap bag for all we know , protein is protein and fat is fat .

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The £60 bag could just have the same stuff in it as the cheap bag for all we know , protein is protein and fat is fat .
The cheaper ones often have far more grain than meat content. That's the main difference. If you read the first ingredients in the cheap stuff it usually starts with maize, etc whereas the expensive stuff the meat, be it chicken or whatever is listed first and has a lot more of it.

Top Bottom