What do you intend on doing on the 4th July.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having next Thursday & Friday off work, I'm going to wait until the weather forecast is more reliable, book myself a table at one of the local Deben Inn pubs and ride out there for a late & liquid assisted lunch.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went to my local pub last night. The door was shut. It had a notice on saying something about having to phone this number to be let in. I looked through the window and saw the original 1904 etched glass bar shutters pulled down. I've been going in there for 42 years and that's the first time i've seen them down. There were only a few customers in, so i thought it best to go home and wait till maybe Monday or Tuesday and take it from there.

Venod

Eh up
Went out last night with our lifetime friends, it was very pleasant, better than the normal crowded Saturday no scrambling to be served, just the right amount of people to not cause distancing problems, we visited 2 pubs, one a Wetherspoons, order and pay by app or queue at bar and pay by card, the other table service pay by card or cash, it was good to have a decent pint with other people.
Everybody seemed pleased to be out and no problems were seen, although a few had obviously over indulged.

Last edited:
Didn't go to my nearest pub (a spoons) but all seemed quiet outside from a distance, popped in sainsburys for a couple of beers. Deathly deathly quiet, really wierd. Saw a place called the old house in northampton on telly, could see no signs of distancing at all. Out and about on friday found a pub in shoreditch area, not far from liverpool street. Open. Was told takeaway only so allowed. So folks drinking in street. Ditto no real distancing that I could see.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
I had a day out yesterday, I caught the train to Shrewsbury and had a look around then had a couple of pints of Bombardier in the The Old Post Office. I was shown to a table in the courtyard where I was asked my name and phone number and then a member of staff took my order and delivered a pint of the lovely stuff to me. You was only allowed into the pub to use the toilets and could not approch the bar. It wasnt a hassle and I enjoyed a nice pint in pleasant surroundings.

So has everyone forgiven 'spoons for the way they behaved towards their employees just a few months back??

No wonder businesses don't really pay much attention to ethics, if peoples memories are so short. :rolleyes:
Separate issue/thread, but in truth i think that story was somewhat exaggerated, and also that their sins as they were were replicated by many who slipped under the radar. Spoons has long been a magnet for certain stories for various reasons. I have the idea that tim martin has moved into the background a bit for the good of the company. There is various coverage online of the issues about whether there should be a boycott. And no am not straying into the politics threads anytime soon.
I will be returning to spoons in good time when i feel the time is right from a health and family perspective.
In the meantime, from shortly before the god given crap of the virus, a pic of one of life's small sinful pleasures - a fine fine (and strong) beer with a spoons extra large breakfast.
I worked off the calories and sin (at least one more beer) with a ride from snowy ribblehead through pouring yorkshire and lancashire rain.
Google photos tells me the date was feb 28. Beer one of my favourites - Jaipur.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I drove past many pubs whilst at work yesterday. None appeared to be overcrowded or busy judging by the number of cars parked outside.
Almost quieter than a 'normal' Saturdays drinking 🍻

So has everyone forgiven 'spoons for the way they behaved towards their employees just a few months back??

No wonder (edit some) businesses don't really pay much attention to ethics, if peoples memories are so short. :rolleyes:
As I never boycotted them, my "memory" is not relevant.
Perhaps others here only spend money with morally squeaky clean business owners; I couldn't say.

MarkF

Guru
Perhaps others here only spend money with morally squeaky clean business owners; I couldn't say.

Yeah, and we should show solidarity and empathy with the employees by putting their livelihoods at risk? It beats me!:wacko:

Just done another 2 pint research and am a bit worried. Was busy yesterday but only because it was an "event" and a fair few locals were shut, all open and it'd have been a quietish Saturday. Today sameish. I've talked to loads and I reckon people won't comply with the guidelines, and to do that, they just won't go. I don't think there is any point in the pubs intending to open this coming week, doing so. It's not normal and people won't do "new normal", chains are going to suffer badly. MIght have a look in Leeds next Saturday night.

The A&E dept was dead last night and dead till I left at 2pm.

From talking to staff this morning (out in the Provinces) and reading national news, this looks like mainly a London problem. Plenty of positive stories from smaller settlements.

Still feel it could have been handled much better:sad:
Hopefully folks will calm down now ...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Well no it isn't always easy to make such choices, life is full of compromises.

But something to think about maybe, if you can afford to support the good guys, who do the right thing by their employees.

Like voting for "More of this kind of behaviour please" with your hard earned dosh.

But no, you're right, not everyone thinks, or cares about this sort of stuff.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The crap weather must've affected 'super Saturday(and Sunday)! i walked past 4 or 5 pubs yesterday and looking through their windows they were all far quieter than a normal Sunday evening. I think a lot of old customers have got used to not drinking,or got used to cheap supermarket beer prices.

Top Bottom