What do you prefer - Campagnolo or Shimano

What do you prefer - Campagnolo or Shimano ?

• Campagnolo

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Shimano

• Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shimano man here, and anyone say's it wears out don't know nothing....... 18 year old Dura Ace 7400 - still sweet as the day it came out of the boxes, Shimano 600/Ultegra - fine again all 7/8 speed kit, and Deore LX 7 speed - still works fine on my MTB.

I like campag, and it's certainly prettier, but it just wasn't that great mechanincally when I got my bikes. Next road bike may well just be campag, but I'm worried about the chains.... let someone else run the 11 speed stuff for a couple of years then decide.....

OP
OP
N

Nicensleazy

fossyant said:
Shimano man here, and anyone say's it wears out don't know nothing....... 18 year old Dura Ace 7400 - still sweet as the day it came out of the boxes, Shimano 600/Ultegra - fine again all 7/8 speed kit, and Deore LX 7 speed - still works fine on my MTB.

I like campag, and it's certainly prettier, but it just wasn't that great mechanincally when I got my bikes. Next road bike may well just be campag, but I'm worried about the chains.... let someone else run the 11 speed stuff for a couple of years then decide.....

Shimano is certainly not crap, as I have used previously for many years. However, I just prefer campag. The feel, the ride, the gear change just feels right with Campag. Also, I have got to say, Campag chains are far better than Shimano, without question !

I don't have a problem with the function of Shi**no componentry but I do detest the way they have attempted, by fair means and foul, over the years to dominate the world of cycle parts manufacturing. They blew dear old Suntour out of the water and have tried to screw both SRAM and Campag. SRAM actually took them to court and won a multi-million dollar payout. They try to make their stuff incompatible with everything else on the market but present it as innovation and they wont be happy until they are the only company standing. Shi**no is so dominant that even Giant have no influence with them. They write all the rules, they determine the dimensions of every bike you can buy whether it has their parts or not. If they announced that next years hubs would be 172.5mm that's what we would get. They can f off.

I don't use Campagnolo, SRAM, Raceface, Suntour, Hope, LOOK, Tru-Vative, Mavic, Avid, Xpedo, Time, Cane-Creek, etc because it's better than Shi**no (although often it is) I use it because it isn't fu**ing Shi**no.

Chris James

Über Member
mickle said:
I don't have a problem with the function of Shi**no componentry but I do detest the way they have attempted, by fair means and foul, over the years to dominate the world of cycle parts manufacturing. .

That's capitalism for you. Surely their competittors also have tried to dominate cycle part manufacturing but were less successful?

mickle said:
They blew dear old Suntour out of the water .

SunTour blew themselves out of the water by not investing enough in R & D and being left behind by Shimano.

http://www.hadland.me.uk/page35.htm

Likewise Campag shot themselves in the foot by missing the boat with MTBs.

mickle said:
They try to make their stuff incompatible with everything else on the market but present it as innovation and they wont be happy until they are the only company standing.

Since indexed shifting was introduced pretty much all the manufacturers have been as bad in this regard. They all try to optimise performance and competitor compatibility is the first thing that gets jettisoned. The next thing to go is backwards compatibility.

Perhaps just because I have always operated at the cheaper end of the market, but in the last 25 years, as a result of the innovation you have described, I now have a groupset that is lighter, stiffer, cheaper and shifts much better than I have ever previously had thanks to Shimano.

Even the current standard of product from Campag is probably a testament to Shimano knocking them out of their complacency.

Fair points well made CJ.

Mortiroloboy

Nicensleazy said:
Its got to be said, I think Campag is more for the 'purist' cyclist. Just look at the attention to detail on Campag, much better and feels more positive. Come to think of it, even looks better.

In a nutshell:biggrin:

Top Bottom