What do you prefer - Campagnolo or Shimano

What do you prefer - Campagnolo or Shimano ?

• Campagnolo

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Shimano

• Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Nicensleazy said:
Kirstie, get the beers in !!!!!!!

Kirstie said:
Sorry, I've been finishing this pint for a few weeks now and so it'll be a while until I go to the bar...

Nicensleazy said:
Cheap night then!

The time she's taking to drink that drink; she's anybodies !

1.gif

= [glarefromkirstiesmiley]

;)

yenrod

I just cannot put up with the thumb action on Campag.

Shimano just feels soo much more natural / logical.

Chris James

Über Member
I shouldn't really have voted on this poll as the only Campag things I have are a pair of cone spanners! This is probably particularly true for other Shimano voters as it seems almost impossible to have never ridden a Shimano equiped bike but the reverse is less true.

What does seem to be coming across well is that both manufacturers produce excellent gear. Certainly if I compare modestly priced 105 and Tiagra with old Simplex, Huret, Maillard etc stuff I used in the dim and distant past then the Shimano stuff is light years ahead. The few negative comments that have been made above are all about ergonomics or aesthetics and not functioning as even the base models of both manufacturers will give years of faultless service assuming they are set up and maintained correctly (not a difficult task).

I dare say that Campag is great but Shimano seem to shade things to me due to them producing gear right across the bike range (including mixing and matching for touring), whereas Campag are just road stuff. Shimano also produce Nexus hub gears and dynohubs.

Shimano have been the greater innovators, introducing indexed gears, combined brake and gear levers, dual pivot brakes and freehubs.

Niall Estick

Guys, it's just STUFF. Let's all live together in harmony

DanRVV2006

i wouldnt allow myself to put shimano on my race bikes! Not that its bad or anything i did ride a friends bike the other day with shimano on it and i have to say the levers are very smooth and precise in changing gear! BUT the whole groupset looks shocking compared to my Campagnola Record 10 speed groupset, Campagnola equipment looks so dam good, although the new 11 speed levers do look somewhat different to previous versions, dare i say a little like shimano :S

Maz

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
but campag make stupidly expensive nice corkscrews…

oh, and campagnolo is also a variety of italian salami :wahhey:
Could you catch these with Campagnola? Maybe be as salami bait you could :smile::
fish1.gif

Randochap

Senior hunter
Haven't read every post, so not sure if this has been mentioned ...

I have Campag, Centaur on one bike, Record on a second. But I have two bikes with Shimano. One XT another a mix, but both with bar end shifters. These are my touring bikes. They both have low gear in the region of 21 inches.

Lowest possible on the Campag-equipped bikes is around 27."

Now Campag has decided to desert riders who want top end 10sp, leaving only the "Triple" line for those who want low gears. I won't be buying 11-sp, with its tiny 5.5mm chains that will probably wear out in 6 months or less.

Top Bottom