what do you think of the CTC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The CTC consists of 2 totally different groups, as TMN says, and there doesn't seem to be much overlap between them.

The national body seems to have totally lost the idea of what they want to be. Bearing in mind their strapline is "The national cycling charity", that gives the impression they're a bunch of cyclists who raise funds for charity. They're nowhere near vocal enough to put themselves forward as a campaigning organisation for all cyclists, putting cyclists interests first.

I don't live in London, but LCC seem far more active in a political sense.

RedRider

Pulling through
Carradice, they campaigned to pave the roads and the 1950s. Insurance, infrastructure, good solicitors apparently. Something I intend to join.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Locally, CTC means nothing to me other than the small groups on tourers we sometimes pass as we go round the lanes. It's a purely national organisation.

swansonj

Guru
Chris Juden. Rohloff gears aside, has that man ever been wrong on anything?

Also insurance. Also, under the last bloke, an organisation that had clearly lost its collective way, abandoning one thing it knew how to do for a nebulous hope by its over-ambitious paid staff of something grander. But I joined twenty-something years ago to access Chris Juden's wisdom.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Only joined to go on the Fridays.
They don't seem to be proactive in terms of cycling promotion in the way that BC is, I'm not quite sure what their goal or objectives are, let alone if they achieve them.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
an extension of CAMRA.....but with cleated sandals
I suppose they still drink Tavern Keg in Cheltenham...

Linford

I suppose they still drink Tavern Keg in Cheltenham...
We stopped at a pub nr Eckington. It was a real ale backwater place. Funny ride really...very serious bunch. Welcoming, but suspicious of outsiders. Sunday rides with them are full on willy waiving contests between the men..

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Locally? They are people who have cycled all their lives, long and shorter, and love it. They turn out week after week, rain or shine, without fail, planning and advertising lovely routes, welcoming all and anyone who wants to turn up and ride with them. They make no comments about how you're dressed or what bike you ride, they are just genuinely glad to see you out on a bike. If there's something wrong with your bike they will cheerfully help you fix it and explain how it works if you're not sure. They cater for people whose average speeds are way beyond what I can achieve, and equally people who just want to pootle about on a shopping bike, and they manage to organise their rides every week so that both those groups, and the ones in between, meet up at lunchtime for a pint in the pub or a sandwich on a bench at the rec, whichever people choose.

Nationally, CTC has a bit of a problem with the recent debacles over charity status. And some of the rather cheap comments on here indicate they have a way to go, sure. But in my experience CTC people are invaluable, undervalued, and quietly continuing to share and enjoy their love of cycling.

Strongly agree with above.

I joined to "support the aims of the organisation" which I saw as promoting practical cycling and cyclists's interests rather than sport, nor pushing niche interests or (inapropriate) green / lefite agendas either. (For the record I am at least pale green and slightly leftie myself so my comment is on appropriatenss, rather than a disagreement with said agenda). We (cyclists) need constant vigilance to head off stupid legislation - helmet compulsion, must use cycle lanes, and whatever else - ctc does this.

i irather like the magazine, which I look forward to, but see as a bonus.

i also value the insurance - more for legal side to pursue a claim, though on my one colision with a motorist, the latter fu£&@ed off leaving me in the road, bruised and shaken but not seriously hurt luckily. Very bruised indeed it gradually emerged with 1/4 of my chest a yellowy blue colour but hey ho.

Gone on only 1 local club run - and a more delightfull and welcoming bunch you could not meet. It was advertised as slow, and it really was slow it must be said, but, and this is key, there was a good few very fit people on the ride, who could have cycled 4 times the distance in half the time, but didn't in order to cater for the slowest. There were a minority of very much non-athletes who were totally welcome, and not dropped nor ever made to feel like the slow ones. Espirit de corps and team ethos were fantastic. The club also run medium, and fast and very fast rides, so no-ones held back. Purely other commitments have curtailed joining them for other runs as I was vwry impressed.. This is the Bristol group for what it's worth.

So for me, very much "a good thing" which I'm happy to support with a modest bit of cash, especially as there's a nice magazine, and insurance - which I regard as a nice bonus.

London Female

Über Member
I ride with my local CTC group, it's a great group. I don't think they require members to sign up to CTC to ride with them but I did for the insurance and also because at the time I was still a student and got discount.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ex member
Local group rides didn't suit
Central bureaucracy was hideous to engage with
HQ has done cock all for local campaigns on my manor
Magazine was okay for a freebie, used to love Chris Juden articles
Why the flip are they involved in mtb'ing at Tilgate Forest?
Would rather give me money to LCC and a CTC affiliated club
Old out-of-date, and my sense is the membership is merely a cash cow to be milked to give a few professional campaigner types jobs and a platform and constituency for their views.

Me no like.

PK99

Legendary Member
nothing complicated - and it doesn't matter if you know nothing or next to nothing about the organisation. Just tell us what your impression is.

Nationally - nothing.
Policy wise - nothing.

locally/personally:
A pacey ride every Wednesday, 50(winter) to 80 (summer) miles on different routes to different pubs every week - with an occasional century thrown in.
Warm.
Welcoming.
Educational wrt cycling.
Tremendous breadth of life experience - from Actuary to Bus driver to Civil service policy wonk to teacher to housewife and every dimension between
Being in awe of guys in their 70's and 80's who put us kids to shame.

ie a Club

Top Bottom