what do you think of the CTC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They don't seem to be proactive in terms of cycling promotion in the way that BC is, I'm not quite sure what their goal or objectives are, let alone if they achieve them.
Funnily enough, I see exactly the opposite. I don't think I've ever see a BC comment on a cycling issue. Every single article I read on cycling has a quote from Geffen or Juden or Peck. I don't think this is confirmation bias.

brodiej

Veteran
Personal experience:
Good insurance
Boring magazine
Terrible customer service - failed to renew my membership and I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone (indeed any useful communication with them was impossible) so joined BC
No problems since

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think they've lost touch with what they are supposed to represent. I was a full member for 5 years (now only an associate purely for Fridays purposes).

I must admit I didn't engage with the locals groups and that's purely my fault: they told me where they were and when they'd be cycling etc I just had other rides to do.

Nationally, I feel their sense of individual self-importance has blinded them to what they are supposed to be doing. Hence the months and years of handwringing over charitable status etc. It should have been a straight, one time vote of the membership.

Edit: I also appear to be the only person less than impressed with their insurance.

My feelings on BC are even more negative. I place them up there with the likes of the RFU and the FA.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Funnily enough, I see exactly the opposite. I don't think I've ever see a BC comment on a cycling issue. Every single article I read on cycling has a quote from Geffen or Juden or Peck. I don't think this is confirmation bias.

I agree that I rarely see the BC comment on a cycling issue, and I personally think this a occasionally a good thing. So many of the things worthy of comment about negative such as cycling provisions, dangerous junctions, another tragic death or similar.
although exceptionally important I do not hold the belief that it encourages more people to cycle.
The BC seem to focus more towards a positive experience of cycling with efforts such as the 'breeze' campaign and women only rides which I believe do positively encourage cycling and makes people more receptive to them.

Im not for one moment suggesting that either are not important, its just that one has a negative feel with the sole purpose of complaining and protesting while the other seems to try to bring about change from a positive proactive angle. A mix of the two would perhaps be an ideal mix, however I'm not sure they will ever play nicely enough with each other to benefit cycling.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I benefit from having a lot of local audax rides organised by CTC groups. The insurance covers all audax events and FNRttC rides. There's a cart load of routes available online to use as is or modify to meet your individual needs. I adapted a French Channel to Med route to start at Calais and end at Montpellier. I got a discount on the European Bike Express fares. The CTC LEJOG pack provided the foundation for my LEJOG and JOGLE rides. I like the brief interlude that the magazine offers. The forums aren't bad and I've had some bargains from the for sale section:+

Carradice panniers
Spa Cycle wheels
Trevor Jarvis Flying Gate bike.

byegad

Legendary Member
My membership runs out later this month. They have gone the same route as the AA and RAC with charitable status and appear to be losing touch with membership and becoming a business. I have yet to decide if I wish to continue, if I don't I'll join BC for their insurance and accident support. I'd welcome any comments on BC with respect to these benefits.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Old out-of-date, and my sense is the membership is merely a cash cow to be milked to give a few professional campaigner types jobs and a platform and constituency for their views.

Me no like.
I was trying to think of some witty response but this is nail on head for me. Legal assistance & Insurance are the other things which I identify CTC with, which I would hazard a guess is the main reason most sign up to either BC or CTC.

snorri

Legendary Member
. I like the magazine, the website was terrible to navigate, and I just got tired of waiting for the long promised updated version. The touring information was long out of date. The insurance is reassuring, thankfully I have never had a claim. Although I have neither a beard or sandals, I prefer the CTC image to the garish lycra, helmet and goggles image that BC portrays. I like that they have a campaigning division.

Vaguely aware of them, used to be insured by them. Should have a paramilitary wing.

Ruary

My local CTC group only rides on a Tuesday and sets off at 9am, think that reflects the age of the membership (retired?) although the rides do appear to also include a pub stop for beer/lunch so can't be all bad!

Booyaa

Veteran
I know very little about them but they have always seemed liked the cycling equivalent of the caravan and camping club. I hope I am wrong with that as I used to be a member of the CCC and I do not have fond memories of it. I will look into the CTC though.

Venod

Eh up
I was a member a few years ago mainly for the insurance, the mag is not that bad sometimes some interesting articles, I have joined again mainly for the insurance, I did consider BC but CTC seems more in touch with the majority of cyclist & cycling issues, I have always regarded BC as a racing mans club (I may be out of date with this view)

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
After a year of dithering, I've joined BC and my membership of CTC will shortly lapse. The mushroom tactics applied to CTC members by the 'high ups in CTC' have finally got to me.

D

Deleted member 23692

I joined BC but apart from the insurance and Quidco cashback it offers me very little. It seems to focuses towards competitive riding and everything lese is secondary. As for the Wiggle (so called) discount .. that's just a joke.

I might try CTC next year, as long as a Harold Shipman style beard isn't prerequisite

Top Bottom