what do you think of the CTC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
well, thank you all.

I used to be on the Council, but now I'm just a customer...

I personally view you as someone who is dedicated and committed. As such I believe that you were on the Council because you felt that you could improve things for cyclists.
As such I'm a little curious as to when you left the Council and the reasoning behind this?

Binka

Über Member
Just the fact people here are saying they're all over 60 with beards. I might not fit in. [grin]

I did recently meet someone from the local ctc and he was lovely so will probably go and see what I think.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I personally view you as someone who is dedicated and committed. As such I believe that you were on the Council because you felt that you could improve things for cyclists.
As such I'm a little curious as to when you left the Council and the reasoning behind this?
yhpm

London Female

Über Member
Just the fact people here are saying they're all over 60 with beards. I might not fit in. [grin]

I did recently meet someone from the local ctc and he was lovely so will probably go and see what I think.

I often ride with my local CTC group and I am not over 60 nor do I have a beard.

robjh

Legendary Member
What the CTC means to me?

Well-intentioned campaigning organisation.
Polythene bike bags that I use on planes.
Rides slower than I want .
Expensive membership.
Insurance.
Confused admin - I emailed them once and they then thought I was a member for the rest of the year.
But generally (for me) quite a positive reputation, even if I don't personally intend to join.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I think they are laid back sort of people who enjoy cycling that get together to go out and ride with a rule that nobody gets left behind. They were probably among the first to introduce/wear the trendy lycra of today. I often see them out and about the country lanes around here and they seem a decent sort. It almost seems cool (I think that word is so uncool) to knock them. Live and let live.

Some more thoughts. The CTC also do a lot of training - Ride leader, MTB trails, maintenance etc. However, none of of the venues used are in the South East of England. They sometimes use locations in Bristol and Devon, but it's mostly in several locations dotted around Yorkshire - mainly at Dalby Barn, Pickering - in a forest, miles from anywhere. Although they list a location in Cranbrook, Kent (again, miles from anywhere) they don't seem to actually use it.

British Cycling have locations all over the UK, including London that they use for a wider range of training. Bearing in mind the sheer number of cyclists in the greater London area, this would seem to be a severe omission by the CTC.

Joined the ctc when I first started riding a couple of years ago because I wanted to tour, use their routes and for the insurance.

Left after 2 years (last month in fact) and joined BC.

Problem with the ctc for me was they appeared to be more focused on mtb and other disciplines of cycling other than touring, and many of the routes in their web data base are of of date, incomplete and don't have any gps info.

This meant the only useful thing left was the insurance which is cheaper through BC.

Leodis

Veteran
Have been caught between CTC or BC, joined neither so far. CTC seem old skool and BC backed the Edinburgh to London bid Tour de France bid last year, they did all they could to discredit Yorkshire as a host, so really do not want to join as I feel BC should have kept their nose out of it and seem very much politically motivated compared to CTC.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The usual beardist comments ........ BTW I've noticed an increase in facial hair appearing in the professional's ranks recently - reckon it'll be seen as really cool soon. I'm a CTC member, but don't ride with them. Mainly for the insurance, quite enjoy the magazine (but then I DO have a beard, and I'm getting on a bit).

snorri

Legendary Member
I think they are laid back sort of people who enjoy cycling that get together to go out and ride with a rule that nobody gets left behind.
In fact only a small minority of CTC members take part in the group rides.
It would appear from this thread, if the CTC wants to update its image, it should ditch the group rides immediately.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom