What do you think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Origamist said:
I do not always filter to the front of traffic and plonk myself ahead of the first car. For example, if the road ahead is clear, or if there is a Max Powered Clio at the front, I am happy to wait a car or two back.

The type of vehicle at the front has an impact on whether I'll filter to the front, as does how much space there is. As in this instance there was plenty of space and a bus with a blind spot the size of Belgium, I'd maybe have filtered to that point. And I'd be most startled to see a bus driver ranting aboug this legal, valid, safe manoevre.

andyfromotley

A few points,
1. i find bus drivers to be personable, professional drivers.
2. She is definitely right he was a baldy git.
3. Terible cycling, he should never have stopped at the rl!! a bit of a track stand, timing and courage, hed have been through them lights no bother.

andy

nethalus

Your road awareness is pretty poor. There was a bloke immediately in front of the truck when the light turned green, and you started intimidating the vehicle. Look on the lright and you'll also see a kid looking like he/she was about to cross before swinging around the post. The driver was being rightfully respectful of the pedestrians.

Are your employers aware that you have such a lack of awareness of pedestrians around you when you are driving?

Where do you get all this shite from mate? I didn't intimidate anyone. If you notice I left a safe gap between my vehicle and the one in front while waiting. The lights changed so I released the handbrake and move gently forward. If you notice the guy in the green top is well away from the crossing when the bus passes it.
I suppose you think this guy was a good driver? Don't think you can see it on the video but I remember at the time the guy was looking at something on the passenger seat, and not watching the crossing. The kid you are talking about walks off, and does not attempt to cross the road. While going down the road you can see that I keep a good distance back from the car infront and am doing around the recomended speed limit of 15mph (I say recomended, as its not a compulsory speed limit). The poor lane discipline or the 4x4 driver shows when he stops suddenly for no reason in the middle of the road, partly taking up the lane I am in. He seems to be driving along oblivious to whats going on around him. I mean if he wanted to park up or change lanes surely some indicators would have been a good idea? Or perhaps you think his driving is good? I mean would you like to be cycling where there is someone like that about?

sheva

mr_cellophane said:
LOL - all that ranting about a perfectly legal move by the cyclist and only a "oh and the car did an illegal left turn" possibly putting several people's lives at risk. :becool:. It looks like the ped crossing light is green as well.

you`re spot on there mate, I know this street well and because It`s no left turn the green man is indeed on in favour of the pedestrian.

Cab

nethalus said:
Or perhaps you think his driving is good? I mean would you like to be cycling where there is someone like that about?

The quality of the other guys behaviour has got nothing to do with whether or not your behaviour was acceptable.

Cab

To answer your question, I think the driver in front was unaware of his surroundings and possibly lost. No it wasn't the best driving, but a professional driver should be aware that people get lost in town centres, should make allowances for this and should be a lot more patient. Your attitude again has resulted in your driving not being as good as it could be.

Actually, I think this lies at the heart of a lot of the problems we have on the roads.

If someone else does something 'wrong' (note inverted commas; 'wrong' in this context means that you don't like what they've done, whether it really is wrong or not) then it is accepted by many that you can validly treat them quite badly; here we have a fine example from Nethalus. We are asked to accept that because the behaviour of that motorist was poor, her subsequent behaviour must therefore be okay. Thats a fallacy. Or, in other words, two wrongs don't make a right.

It saddens me that mob rule of the roads seems to be rather more infantile, in this respect, than most primary school playgrounds.

hackbike 6

I've not commented on whether the driver in front of you was good or not. I'm highlighting the poor attitude and behvaiour of a professionally trained driver, complaining about the bloke who he has no control over while ignoring her own faults. The key to road safety is to examine our own behaviour, not complain about and blame others'.

Good point.I got annoyed with two cab drivers last week of which I shouldn't have.

nethalus

hackbike 6 said:
I've not commented on whether the driver in front of you was good or not. I'm highlighting the poor attitude and behvaiour of a professionally trained driver, complaining about the bloke who he has no control over while ignoring her own faults. The key to road safety is to examine our own behaviour, not complain about and blame others'.

Good point.I got annoyed with two cab drivers last week of which I shouldn't have.

What a load of bollocks!

nethalus

How about addressing the issues you disagree with properly, rather than spouting abuse? Otherwise it will just look like you haven't a leg to stand on.

What's the point of pointing things out to you when you clearly just want to put me in a bad light because you are an evil person. There weren't any pedestrians on the crossing when I moved forward. I have watched the original version of the video a few times now, and all the pedestrians have cleared the crossing as I moved forward. I did not inimidate anyone, nor did I intend to. Its just your misguided evil impression of things.

nethalus

Watch it again. At 0:20 the lights turn green and you can still see the head of the bloke in the green top, the rest of him just behind the truck but still in the middle of the road. You start moving almost bang on 0:21. He's still behind the truck, in the road. The truck doesn't start moving until 0:24, which is when you should have started moving. The child on the right who is approching the crossing doesn't swing arond the pole until 0:23, after you had started moving. Until that time it looked as if he/she would be stepping onto the crossing.

The truck quite correctly doesn't start moving until it is clear that the child is not going to step into the road. You were already on your way by then. He moved when it was safe to. After you had posted your impatient "excuse me, the lights are green!!!" comment. It doesn't matter what colour the lights are. If it looked like someone was about to step into the road then the vehicle in front of you should have waited. Which he did.

Which bit of the above don't you agree with? Please explain.

Read this, there were NO PEDESTRIANS on the crossing. The guy is on the pavement, not on the road. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? Its like you and some one else trying to say that I sounded my horn at the crossing when I did not. No one is about to step out. You are just either making things up or seeing things that aren't there. For what reason I do not know. I think because you just like upsetting people and hurting people. Obviously you are a very very bitter person who just wants to make others unhappy.

dondare

Über Member
magnatom said:
Guys,

You got me wrong! I'm not worried about what they are saying on bloodbus! I am just interested in the fact that people think that pulling to the head of the queue is so wrong. I don't do it myself generally ( I tend to filter to one or two cars back) but on the video in question I don't think there was much wrong, although he could have taken a more central position, and he may have crossed the line.

I should have linked the video and not the thread. Sorry! :tongue::sad:

If the cyclist crossed the line he was in the wrong and broke the law. I can't see the line but I'm guessing that this was the case.

If nethalus is restrained on the road and lets off steam here, GOOD! Nothing wrong with a bit of flaming. But anyone who posts video from their cam had better be right all of the time.

nethalus

I made a mistake about the horn. You explained. Fair enough.

I'm not wrong about the guy on the crossing though. It's clear in the clip. As is the kid who looked like he/she was about to step out. Go through my timings and explain which one you dispute. Or concede that you're wrong.

The car in front started moving when it was safe to do so. You should have waited for him to start moving. Instead you were impatient.

My point, again, is that you're whinging about a truck in front of you that was making mistakes and clearly lost, and ignoring the mistakes that you made yourself.

Which can you change for the positive- your driving or the truck driver's?

YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG. HE WAS NOT ON THE CROSSING WHEN I STARTED TO MOVE. I DON'T TAKE THE HANDBRAKE OFF UNTIL THE LIGHT HAS GONE FULLY GREEN AND THE GUY IS OFF THE CROSSING BY THEN. JUST FACE IT AND ACCEPT IT THAT YOU ARE WRONG. I DIDN'T MAKE A MISTAKE ITS JUST THAT YOU ARE WRONG. YOU JUST CAN ACCEPT THAT I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG THERE, SO YOU JUST CARRY ON WITH THE SAME DRIVEL. WELL YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT THE GUY ON THE CROSSING, JUST LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN WRONG ABOUT EVERTHING ELSE.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
nethalus said:
YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG. HE WAS NOT ON THE CROSSING WHEN I STARTED TO MOVE. I DON'T TAKE THE HANDBRAKE OFF UNTIL THE LIGHT HAS GONE FULLY GREEN AND THE GUY IS OFF THE CROSSING BY THEN. JUST FACE IT AND ACCEPT IT THAT YOU ARE WRONG. I DIDN'T MAKE A MISTAKE ITS JUST THAT YOU ARE WRONG. YOU JUST CAN ACCEPT THAT I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG THERE, SO YOU JUST CARRY ON WITH THE SAME DRIVEL. WELL YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT THE GUY ON THE CROSSING, JUST LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN WRONG ABOUT EVERTHING ELSE.

He looked like he was still on the crossing to me as well

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I hate to say it nethalus, there was a chap on the crossing at the times User has described. Green t-shirt. He walks in front of the 4x4. You can't see him in the video because he is in front of the 4x4.

It also did look like the kid would walk onto the road. You were wrong in this instance, it would be best to admit it and move on.

nethalus

To make your case you're going to have to show which of my timings was wrong. If you can't then there's no way the bloke could have got out of the road before you started to move.

You're also going to have to explain whether or not you saw the child making for the crossing who the truck was waiting for, and how you this led you to start moving.

And while you're at it, why did you start moving before the truck did, and why did you put the impatient statement on your clip when it was clear that he was waiting for his path to clear?

Otherwise, as much as you like to shout, you have no case.

I've shown this video to a few people and they all agree that there is no one on the crossing at that the pedestrians near the crossing are clearly waiting for either the lights to go back to red or for a safe gap. Why can't you get it into your pea sized brain that I did nothing wrong here. Why are you carrying on when I did nothing wrong? I mean what is your problem? The crossing was clear when it went green, I released the hand brake and rolled forward a bit. The bloke in the car was not paying attention and doesn't move. There was no one on the crossing, trust me. You can see that the woman with the push chair is not going to cross, she is clearly waiting. The kid walks off to the side, not sure why he does that, but he is not in the road or in any danger.
I think you are just carrying on with insisting that there were people on the crossing because you are either stupid, can't stand the fact that you are WRONG, or you simply have nothing better to do in your sad, misrable life.

Top Bottom