What do you think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

mr_cellophane said:
There is another vid which is coming up to those lights. It has the same van in it which makes the left turn.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0J8S1vxwkc

I wonder if the Leeds bus company knows he is posting their camera footage on YouTube ?

We've been over this ground before in the past with Nethalus. Look back in the archives. I think it is best to leave it as she is doing no harm as the camera is away from her when she drives.

nethalus

mr_cellophane said:
There is another vid which is coming up to those lights. It has the same van in it which makes the left turn.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0J8S1vxwkc

I wonder if the Leeds bus company knows he is posting their camera footage on YouTube ?

Its not THEIR camera footage, its MY camera footage! And no before anyone starts with the childish accusations and threats to go to my employer etc, I was NOT holding the camera while driving. Nor did I touch it while driving. If you don't like my videos then don't watch them!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
nethalus said:
Its not THEIR camera footage, its MY camera footage! And no before anyone starts with the childish accusations and threats to go to my employer etc, I was NOT holding the camera while driving. Nor did I touch it while driving. If you don't like my videos then don't watch them!

I think you video highlights perfectly why 4x4's should be banned from town / city centres.

TWBNK

nethalus said:
Got to specsavers mate, the pedestrians had cleared the crossing. Also I didn't sound my horn. The noise you can hear is actually the handbrake valve realeasing. It's a common feature on volvo buses and trucks. I only sounded my horn when he stopped in the middle of the road for no apparent reason and without indicating.

Okay, fair point about the handbrake valve, I only realised when I got the kids off the bus today.:smile: And as for the peds, he was clear of the crossing when the 4x4 moved off. Which was a little bit after you started rolling.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
So come on Nethalus, why no answer on your not knowing the highway code regarding filtering?

Nethalus/Daisy – I’d second the comment by domtyler that you normally post in an intelligent and polite way on this forum, but I think, with respect, your attitude on this video (if your serious) is simply wrong.

If I was driving, and that happened to me, it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest – I can’t see how you’re getting so upset abut a cyclist filtering and then putting themselves in a sensible, visible position.

Granted – I do not know that junction, but if as you say it’s a difficult one to get around (because there is no right filter) then that would also apply to the cyclist as well wouldn’t it? Which is possibly why he wants to get into the best position he can.

I very much doubt he did that to annoy you or to push in, but rather for reasons of safety and simply because according to the HC he is allowed to; but you seem to be taking it very personally in the video – as if he is just out to wind you up.

You have often commented on how bus drivers face extra difficulties when driving, and you quite rightly argue that other road users should take this into account in their interactions with them (eg when pulling out from bus stops, having to move onto the oncoming lane when roads narrow etc). When other road users don’t afford such treatment to busses, you get upset. The same applies to cyclists – perhaps a little more understanding of other road users needs would be in order.

Out of interest, and I’m not trying to be provocative, how would you take that junction on a bike?

Your road awareness is pretty poor. There was a bloke immediately in front of the truck when the light turned green, and you started intimidating the vehicle. Look on the lright and you'll also see a kid looking like he/she was about to cross before swinging around the post. The driver was being rightfully respectful of the pedestrians.

Are your employers aware that you have such a lack of awareness of pedestrians around you when you are driving?

There was a guy in a green top in front of the pick up when the lights changed.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm just sorry to see that in this thread personal insults and implied threats of informing employers occurs. Oh well.

Personally, I kind of see Nethalus' point -as it certainly looks like the cyclist was past the stop line. Assuming that is the case, then yes, I agree the cyclist pushed in front. However, being truthful, I most likely would also do something similar as it gives me the advantage of being easily seen, though note if I'd stopped behind the bus I'd still be easily seen by vehicles behind, and assuming I wouldn't be stupid enough to sneak up on the bus when it's turning I should be ok with the bus! (I can see this being a little of a questionable argument to me). More importantly for me though would be the size of the bus would obscure my view of the junction, potentially leaving me stranded in the box junction (which I wouldn't like).

A counter argument could easily be made that a cyclist should have simply waited behind the bus and not in the box junction, but realistically I wonder how many motorists would understand that(!). And as someone else pointed out, I wonder how many bus drivers have "pushed" their way into traffic? (quite rightly mind you in my opinion otherwise they'd be stationary) That's not to say it makes what the cyclist did OK or excuses it, merely that sometimes there has to be a little give and take and understanding of each different road user's difficulties to make the traffic flow easier and more efficient -for everyone.

So.... yes, count me as one cyclist who would probably do something similar (by the way, we don't know if the cyclist filtered with an intent to come into the lane *behind* the bus, but was unable to do so).

But also count me in as a person who recognizes that cyclists can do wrong, and that strictly speaking he was pushing in, however understandable and preferable it is from my perspective and personal opinion. However, I will say the comments on the video are over the top, particularly since the bus wasn't even held up!!

And lastly, Nethalus (and equally Magnatom), don't let the extreme detractors from either side get to you with personal invective and please don't rise to the bait.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Having watched the vid of the lead up to this one, I now know that that road is supposed to be for buses and cycles only. Therefore, I can't see any reason why the cycle needed to jump past the bus.

Cab

nethalus said:
I don't need to see an anger management counceller thank you. And I enjoy my job. I just don't need it made difficult by ignorant people who think its acceptable to act like a complete pig on the road and push to the front of a queue.

It is okay for the bike to filter to the front like that, he didn't hold you up, and he broke no law. Deal with it and move on. If you can't, may I suggest that you write to your MP and ask that the law be changed, because he sure as hell broke none of them.

May I further ask, of you and others here, quit the sniping. Please. Don't make me go to the rest of the mods and ask them to come to this thread with a cricket bat.

Wolf04

I guess this thread just shows the questionable nature of filming traffic incidents and posting them on youtube. You may think you have a clear and valid point but others will see it differently. Can I second Cab's request re: sniping

Top Bottom