What do you use as your winter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Until today, I had not been on any rides this month on my newish road bike-(I don`t like the rain), even though there has been no gritting in my area. I had however been out twice on my old MTB, that I am not really bothered about. I paid less than twenty quid for it some time ago.

I read on here about people referring to their winter bike. Is a winter bike something that is old or not in very good condition etc? How do you decide that a bike is now for winter use where there is corrosive salt etc on the road? What bike do you use specifically in the winter months?

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
One person's winter hack is another person's pride and joy. I have to laugh when I hear some cyclists talking about a "winter hack" or winter training bike costing them what is to me a lot of money. Obviously to them it isn't, so it's all about perception.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Planet X XLS CX bike in black and green. He's called Eric. I use him for the grotty weather and for summer trails. If it's not raining I use my roadie. I only have 2 bikes, neither of them are what you might call a winter hack, but the CX takes the rubbish muddy roads a bit better.

mattobrien

Guru
I recently bought a new winter bike, the summer bike is carbon, with carbon wheels and it is a well know fact that carbon melts in the rain so I bought an alu bike for winter.

It is not an old shed, but better suited to winter and wet conditions that my summer effort.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
For me I use the same bike all year round but have an old spare bike that I fit spiked tyres to that becomes my cold weather bike.

sarahale

Über Member
I ride a voodoo hoodoo in winter, but I also rode it all summer too because it's a great bike :biggrin:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My Winter bike is a Koga Roadchamp and is not a cheap bike. It is also my most used bike in the summer. IMO the most important thing to do with a Winter bike is to look after it. At least once a week mine is cleaned and oiled. It takes me 20 minutes at the most.

If it gets snowy and icy I often leave the bike indoors and take my scooter. Having no transmission is a big advantage when there is snow and ice about and its not too far to fall off.

Most used bike Winter and summer.

image.jpg

When it gets snowy and icy

2013-03-12171639_zps395ce3af.jpg

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I use a Pinnacle Dolomite 105 for winter duties. It's every bit as clean and shiny as my summer bike but has proper full mudguards, 28c tyres, slightly lower gearing and is heavily clad in reflective tape.

I use which ever one is set up for the conditions at hand, on a particular day, on a particular ride. I don't do the 'winter bike' 'summer bike' thing, all my bikes are used equally, during summer or winter. I may differentiate based on the exact purpose of the ride, and where I'm going. For example, if I know I'm riding to somewhere, where I wouldn't leave a rabid dog unattended, I would use my oldest, don't really care if it gets banged into / damaged a bit, bike. If I know I'm not going to be out of sight of the bike for too long, or I'm not planning much of a stop, then the nicer bikes will be used. I also change components on certain bikes to suit the ride / destination / conditions. It's mainly to ensure my safety / enjoyment, than anything else.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm using my steel Genesis, as it has full mudguards and rack so easier to carry kit. I could also use my flat bar PX for the same reasons but I'm trying to have only one bike in the house at the mo! They both run 23mm slick tyres (as do all my bikes)

I'll ride if it's a bit wet but not if there's any risk of ice or even frost on the roads. Not that it's been cold enough down here yet

The bikes are hardly hacks (the genesis cost £1500+ in its current guise), if parts wear a bit quicker so be it, but they get a thorough babywiping if dirty, especially the rims. I even took the wheels off the other day to clean under the mudguards. The bike got v grubby again yesterday morning, clean again now. I'll lube the chain next time out

Last edited:
Top Bottom