What do you use as your winter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This mostly as I built it for winter .... it is also my 'Best Bike' but not my summer bike:

IMG_1483.JPG

Or else this:

photo 2.JPG

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a wet weather bike. My aero carbon road bike with deep section carbon wheels still gets ridden in the winter, but if the ground is wet or rain is forecast,my bike with guards is used. It is still a carbon frame but has an old bullet proof Tiagra groupo on it and alu wheels.
tmp_16287-DSC_0104-1788276897.JPG

ozboz

Guru
Ive got a '97 GT XCR 4000 idrive for off road and severe weather , I had a GT hybrid for good weather and town riding , but my Son has that now , so I got myself a Surley CC for Xmas , that does everything I need , perhaps back on the fattie tyres for severe weather if it comes to Surrey , at the mo I'm building up a Vintage frame , as the rear dropouts only takes single speed (or maybe fit as sturmey ) , that will be my bike for the summer , flatfish roads only ! , hope to have it ready for April ,

sackville d

Veteran
DSCF4348.JPG
About 14 months ago decided I wanted something a little more comfy than the Diamondback alloy frame I was using for winter and bought a frame from @biggs682 ,rummaged around in the spares box, and bought some new bits and batts and came up with this.
Much too good to be described as a hack, and serves as a winter/wet weather bike

Racelight Gran Fondo (Scandium) with Ultegra 10 speed running on Mavic OpenPro with Hope hubs.

Mrs M

Guru
I am really a fair weather cyclist, not adverse to a bit of rain though as long as there's no wind as well.
Not been out much lately due to awful weather up here
I just ride my road bike and put on two sets of lights and a rear mudguard.
Sometimes ride Mr M's hybrid with full mudguards.
Collecting my new bike next week, full mudguards and chain guard but don't want to get her dirty :blush:.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
View attachment 115301 About 14 months ago decided I wanted something a little more comfy than the Diamondback alloy frame I was using for winter and bought a frame from @biggs682 ,rummaged around in the spares box, and bought some new bits and batts and came up with this.
Much too good to be described as a hack, and serves as a winter/wet weather bike

Racelight Gran Fondo (Scandium) with Ultegra 10 speed running on Mavic OpenPro with Hope hubs.

@sackville d that was a nice frame as well shame i never got round to actually using it myself

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The famous knockabout bike:

DSC0001939.jpg

As with a few others it's not exclusively for winter, being a general runabout and my pinciple commuting machine.

The roads round here can get extremely muddy and in the low lying areas it's mostly a sandy soil so wear and tear on rims and drivetrain in a wet winter can be very high. Because of this I prefer this one over my best bike as the components are very cheap to replace

In addition it has very generous clearance for tyres so it'll take knobblies or winter tyres as required with no problem.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My winter bike is my all year commuter bike , built up from a second hand frame with bits and bobs , currently claris groupset with r501 wheels , rack and gaurds or when its OMFG snow/icy i use a rigid mtb for commuting.

bpsmith

Veteran
So far this Winter, I have done 75% of my riding on my "Summer" bike. Going to strip it down for a thorough clean just to stop me riding it in foul weather like this morning.

Seriously thinking of getting mudguards for the Defy. Hate the look of them, but saves the spray up the back. Maybe an arse saver might be an option. Anyone use them?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So far this Winter, I have done 75% of my riding on my "Summer" bike. Going to strip it down for a thorough clean just to stop me riding it in foul weather like this morning.

Seriously thinking of getting mudguards for the Defy. Hate the look of them, but saves the spray up the back. Maybe an arse saver might be an option. Anyone use them?
Arse savers do not stop you getting spray up your back. They just stop the worst of if from your arse.

For crap weather riding I attach race blades. Much better then an ass saver.

bpsmith

Veteran
Arse savers do not stop you getting spray up your back. They just stop the worst of if from your arse.
That was my assumption, but thought I should ask in case I was wrong.

Going to have a look at mudguards instead then. Arse Saver sounds pointless unless used on a bike that you refuse to stick guards on, by the sound of it.

Top Bottom