What do you use as your winter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I use a Giant Defy 1. Wouldn't necessarily have bought specifically for Winter, although it does a fine job.

Defy was first road bike, bought using C2W. Instantly fell in love with cycling, then bought a Bianchi, which is what I really wanted to start with. Ironically, the Defy has done about 30% less mileage.

Like above, it gets kept well and cleaned regularly and is spotless as a result!

Joffey

Big Dosser
My winter bike is my Principia RCS S6. It's about 12 years old and still going strong. Using some old Mavic Cosmos wheels on it which are bullet proof, and of course Gatorskins. Pretty hard getting guards on it but finally found some that fit and they kinda do the job!

IMG_5831.jpg

grumpyoldwoman

As (at the minute anyway) I only have my trusty Raleigh Vixen,she's my winter,spring,summer and autumn bike. Looking to get another one in the next couple of months though!

ScotiaLass

Guru
I don't have a specific 'winter' bike.
I use my MTB for trails and mud and towpaths and my hybrid for going to the shops....on towpaths and mud and.... :laugh:
I suppose it depends what I'm doing as to which bike I use, but either way, in the winter they get a good clean down afterwards.
I think most on here will agree I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning my bikes :biggrin:

Edited to add pics

20150625_103307.png

My hybrid

20150418_130458.png

The MTB heading to some local trails

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've got a commuter bike and a distance bike. The commuter has mudguards, disc brakes and a rack for the carradice. It's not what you would call cheap. The distance bike comes out at the weekends although I haven't done much distance at any time of the year for the last couple of years. It'll be out this coming Sunday though.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The well known Ribble 7005 winter/audax (the blue one!). Surprised no one's mentioned it before. For me it's more a 'wet weather bike' as I'm quite happy to use any of my bikes if the roads are dry, anytime. Equally I'll use the Ribble in the 'summer'. IMO the main requirement for a 'winter bike' is that it takes mudguards!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I did use most of my bikes in winter apart from the 531 Raleigh and the 653 TT bike (tyres too skinny/slicks) but the Saracen is set up for snow and the Ridgeback and the Equipe both have mudguards.
Since the start of last winter though I've been waiting for snow and ice to see what the Trike is like but here in Leicester we still haven't really had anything to speak of yet.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Having had to replace wheels due to winter rim wear, despite using salmon Koolstops and wiping the rims and blocks down very regularly, I decided to go over to disc brakes for winter commuting. I now have the luxury of a nice Giant Revolt with SKS mudguards for bad weather/winter use. It is also used for family riding and towing a tagalong.

If it is fine and roads are dry I still ride my Defy, but that is now being kept for "best".

The Revolt is a bit of a tank compared to the Defy. It cost me £550 on a 20% discount deal which I don't think is too bad. I don't think it is a £700 bike really.

As the Revolt is mostly used on the road, I have fitted 700x32 road tyres to it and kept the more knobbly CX tyres which it came with, for use in the snow and on trails.
IMG_20151107_153242206.jpg

Planet X XLS CX bike in black and green. He's called Eric. I use him for the grotty weather and for summer trails. If it's not raining I use my roadie. I only have 2 bikes, neither of them are what you might call a winter hack, but the CX takes the rubbish muddy roads a bit better.

Same here(It's not called Eric though:laugh:)
,although it's really an all-year bike;

IMG_20160107_110523391.jpg

Running it as a 1x10 speed set up with a 105/xt mix plus TRP Spyre slc brakes;wheels are hand-built Archetypes on Novatec hubs with 32 randonneur pros plus some Axiom mud-guards.

Also has a spare wheelset(old Mavic rims + XT hubs)with Challenge Grifo cross tyres on.

Also have an old Weigh frame as a single -speeder,although it hasn't seen a lot of use yet.

Jody

Stubborn git
Winter, Summer, wet or dry, 1 bike suits all for me as I don't have room for (or a missus that will understand) an N+1. Spare set of wheels with slicks on if wanting to do some road riding and even though its a full suss its still nice to ride on tarmac.

Top Bottom