What do you use as your winter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I'll use my Tricross more than any other bike over winter, mainly as it has full guards, discs and can take either wide slick tyres or my studded ones if it gets icy.

The only one I probably won't use will be my Caad8, I like to keep that in pristine condition for summer riding :whistle:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'll use my Tricross more than any other bike over winter, mainly as it has full guards, discs and can take either wide slick tyres or my studded ones if it gets icy.

The only one I probably won't use will be my Caad8, I like to keep that in pristine condition summer by not riding :whistle:
FTFY:giggle:

brrrr.JPG

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I also run a Defy 1 and it's a fantastic bike for all weathers. I've fitted some Crudracer 2 mudguards and some lights and its perfect. I look after it and winter hasn't destroyed it yet! The MTB is a different matter. My full sus cost too much to wreck it on the filthy South Downs during winter, so I bought a cheap secondhand hardtail which serves its purpose nicely.

BorderReiver

Veteran
My Granny had a beautiful (to her- it was a bit flowery for my tastes!) set of china which was too good to be used except for "best". I think it cost her about a month's pension and came out of the sideboard on two occasions before she died.

With that in mind, I use my Trek Domane 6.9 Disc all year round. I bought it precisely because I could use it all year- it takes mudguards and has discs. I'm not about to spend £6,000 on a bike I can only use when the sun shines. It does get more tlc when the roads are wet and especially when the roads are salty (then I rinse it off after every ride). I can't commute by bike so I don't have to ride it everyday but I still get out a lot in bad weather.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Mine has full mudguards - bit fugly but lovely to ride.

Same as many people here, I don't differentiate. I have two and which one I use depends on where I am and what the conditions are on the day. I enjoy riding them too much to limit their use by season.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I use my summer bike and I wash it afrer the ride, especially if the roads have been salted. With the wet weather we've been having I have fitted mudguards.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
My RT-58 with Crud Catcher mudguards and more frequent washing/lubing, is my winter bike. I have an MTB, but I've found that as the weather got worse, I preferred the simple equation of wet, over upside down and muddy - Apparently, I'm not a natural off-roader, unless it's dry. Ho hum!

That said, this years road summer bike will be next years winter bike, because I've nearly stashed the bunce for some more exotic summer plastic which will, ironically, have disc brakes.

Russell

Top Bottom