What do you use as your winter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
So far this Winter, I have done 75% of my riding on my "Summer" bike. Going to strip it down for a thorough clean just to stop me riding it in foul weather like this morning.

Seriously thinking of getting mudguards for the Defy. Hate the look of them, but saves the spray up the back. Maybe an arse saver might be an option. Anyone use them?
An ass saver is good to have tucked under your saddle incase you get caught in the rain . If i think the roads might get wet i just stick a seat mounted rear mudgaurd on .
Defy 5 BTW
EDIT : I wont be fitting mudgaurds to some bikes so assgaurd is great for those .

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Big advantage of full guards is that they keep crud off the brakes and the bottom bracket area.

I use my Wilier, with dura ace and ultegra DI2. Contrary to popular belief it does not melt in the rain. My LBS are surprised that anyone uses di2 to commute in the winter, but I have found it to be pretty reliable.
The only concession to winter I have, is to remove the deep section wheels and put a cheaper, lighter smaller section wheel on as the crap on the roads destroys the rims even when you clean them after every ride.

I ride a steel Genesis on 25mm slicks all-year round, but only when the weather is fine, and a Boardman Team CX on 35mm Marathons or knobblies all year round, when planning to leave the tarmac and/or if it's wet out.

I think most people would see my 'fine weather bike' as a perfectly good winter steed and just stick mudguards on that, but I think it's too pretty to get covered in winter road gunk, and as I 'need' a second bike for off-road rides I can justify (just about) the 'poor weather' bike to myself, and more importantly Mrs Peez, that way.

Karlt

Work is nearly 15 miles away so I'm buggered if I'm going to add too much time to my commute. My Summer/good weather bike is only a Triban 500SE (what most dyed in the wool roadies would consider an entry-level Winter bike); my crappy weather bike is a steel Raleigh Eclipse from the late 80s which I've modernised with a wide range 8sp on the back to cope with the standard double up front (it's hilly here), dual pivot brakes which actually stop rather than slow the bike down a bit, and some second hand Claris brifters because I did't like reaching down to the downtube shifters in traffic. The Raleigh has the clearance for permanent mudguards; the Triban has raceblades for when I have to use it on wet roads (i.e. when I've broken the Raleigh, as for example now - needs rear brake servicing). I much prefer the fixed mudguards though; the raceblades seem to need fiddling with every few miles as they move and start to rub the tyres.

The only component I have made of soot carbon is the Triban fork.

I have a MTB but have very rarely used it for the commute because it takes so long.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
CAAD8 - SRAM Rival, Fulcrum 5s - not a good winter bike at all and hardly cheap, I guess. Tight clearances mean 25mm tyres and mudguards is a very very tight fit, no rackmounts on the back, so I use one of those seatpost rackmount combos, and I have big feet so pannier to heel clearance isn't the best. It's ok for bombing a few laps in the park on the way home or whatever, though... Roll on summer, say I.

Karlt

I have a seatpost mounted rack for the Triban because the mounting lugs whilst present tend to foul the back brake. Nevertheless I hate the seatpost rack with a passion so I'm looking for a proper rack that doesn't foul the brake. The problem with the seatpost mounted rack is (a) it's too high, it puts the top of my rack bag well above the saddle and makes mounting harder; besides it looks preposterous, and (b) the QR lever tends to touch my legs and I don't like it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a seatpost mounted rack for the Triban because the mounting lugs whilst present tend to foul the back brake. Nevertheless I hate the seatpost rack with a passion so I'm looking for a proper rack that doesn't foul the brake. The problem with the seatpost mounted rack is (a) it's too high, it puts the top of my rack bag well above the saddle and makes mounting harder; besides it looks preposterous, and (b) the QR lever tends to touch my legs and I don't like it.
To add to your list of dislikes about seatpost mounted racks: They can tend to swing over so the bag isn't directly over the wheel, which looks even more preposterous and may affect balance a little bit, and add to the the QR sticking out, etc.

Top Bottom