What do you want from a cafe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My friend has opened a cafe and is looking to entice in some of the local cyclists. He already stocks some little bits and pieces ie spare tubes, a track pump, energy bars and a set of Allen keys.

What do you look for in a cafe bar the obvious of food and drink, what else could he do to build his cycling clientele?

Cheers

Venod

Eh up
Secure bike parking, of course it depends on how much room he has, some of the best cafes I know let you take your bike inside.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cyclists are not known to be big spenders, so at least a handful of things on the menu need to be cheap, or at least appear good value.

Decent sized cups of tea and coffee is a good example, it really only comes down to a bit more hot water but gives the impression of generous portions.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I called into my local cyclist-friendly pub earlier this afternoon to discover that they now offer massages!

The choice of facilities would largely be dependent on how the chap sees his cafe - is it simply a coffee-and-cake stop for cyclists to call in mid-ride, or is it a destination in its own right? If the latter, he'll want to consider things like a big screen and a subscription to Eurosport to show the big races. LMNH is a good model to look at, as is G!ro in Esher, to name a couple of well-known ones off the top of my head, and indeed my aforementioned local, the Freewheel in Graveney - http://www.thefreewheel.pub/

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Formica tables, plastic chairs, unbranded ketchup in those plastic tomato shaped bottles, unmatched cutlery and chipped plates. Oh hang on, that's where I go now! :laugh:

Seriously though, I think he's got the basics covered and can add to them as he gets feedback or specific requests.
The tricky bit will be managing speed of service when a club ride or two turn up at the same time. People are only so patient.

Top Bottom