What do you want from a cafe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like when TH did a regular coffee become an americano?

And when did a NORMAL coffee become bloody 'regular?' :gun:

:smile:

Trickedem

Guru
Nooooooooo! Beans must always be on the plate with the bacon, eggs, sausages, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, hash browns and the fried slice. Ramekins are wrong on every level when it comes to breakfast. :stop:
Bloody hash browns...Nooooooooooo Since when did these become part of a 'traditional breakfast' Give me a fried slice please, or possibly toast

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
An old friend of mine opened a coffee\cycle shop in Kent about 2 years ago.

2 years in and he is just about making profit. Cant tell you how much I respect him for what he has done...livin the dream!!

He has an outside and inside seating area, secure bike parking (important when there are warnings if bike theft at the ide hill cafe, which is remote)
All the stuff you would expect in a bike shop plus a workshop, which surprisingly makes more revenue than the rest. He offers discount for group arrivals (so long as they call in advance to give him some warning) proper coffee, proper bike advice and a huge wall map of the area that riders can write on with messages like"smooth tarmac", "big lump" or "fast section"

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If I may make a non cycling suggestion, contrary to what you asked but these days when I go into a coffee shop and request a coffee, they ask me what type and I say "er regular coffee with milk" and they ask "an American?"

Like when TH did a regular coffee become an americano?
Around the same time that...thankfully...filter coffee stopped being the only choice.

If all you want is filter coffee, why are you in a coffee shop...your local indian restaurant can swill a cup of that stuff up for you in a jiffy.

Spin that thought around, if you went into a bike SHOP and all they sold was parts for a 1980 Rayleigh grifter, would you consider that to be a good shop.

Btw, what you really want to order is a white Americano (Americano is black coffee) and make sure they heat the milk and serve it in a separate container.

If it helps, for a couple of years unused to order a milky cappuccino from my local. Every time the barrista would repeat"latte", to which I would sigh and just say the order louder.

I had no idea what a latte was

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
An old friend of mine opened a coffee\cycle shop in Kent about 2 years ago.

2 years in and he is just about making profit. Cant tell you how much I respect him for what he has done...livin the dream!!

He has an outside and inside seating area, secure bike parking (important when there are warnings if bike theft at the ide hill cafe, which is remote)
All the stuff you would expect in a bike shop plus a workshop, which surprisingly makes more revenue than the rest. He offers discount for group arrivals (so long as they call in advance to give him some warning) proper coffee, proper bike advice and a huge wall map of the area that riders can write on with messages like"smooth tarmac", "big lump" or "fast section"
Don't be shy, spread the love.

Agreed, but you would need other stuff too right, like a place to confidently leave the bike, perhaps a track pump, water tap.
Kind of. I'd go to a place without those that had good food than one with with mediocre food. I've never struggled to lock my bike or fill a bottle at any cafe, pub or restaurant.

Top Bottom